1751811 Members
5295 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enclosure Inadequate Power To Power On: Not Enough Power

Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

Enclosure Inadequate Power To Power On: Not Enough Power

I got a C7000 enclosure fully populated with 6 Power Supplies and 8 BL680G5 servers, the Power Circuit is fully redundant.
This enclosure PS #2 failed, and soon after that Server #3 got powered down and refused to power up, IML is showing:
Server Blade Enclosure Inadequate Power To Power On: Not Enough Power (Enclosure Serial Number USEXXXXXXX, Slot 3).
Said server is not affected by the Power Managment Controller issue, and its ILO version was 1.81.
Dynamic Power was enabled an PS #6 was powered off, even after disabling Dynamic Mode the server refused to power up, (also tried to reset the server from the OA and from what i've been said the server was re-inserted).
Of course there was plenty of power left on the enclosures, so i'm at odds why the server would not power up...

No matter what, the server won't power up
Now, since dynamic Power mode was on, PS #6 was actually turned off,
7 REPLIES 7
Proliant VMS San Mgrs
Frequent Advisor

Gerardo,

What interconnect devices? Virtual Connect? Firmware versions for oba, interconnects, blades? ILO 1.81 might be a bit old. System BIOS?

I know that Virtual Connect can prevent power on, and there are firmware issues...

Also, can you display the various power settings for us?
Problems Solved
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

This is a c7000 enclosure running OA FW 3.21, the interconnects are all 1GBe Passthru modules except two 4GBe Fiber Pasthru modules for SAN.
As soon as the PS got replaced the server powered up normally.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Have you chekked the other servers for high power usage / PMC FW?.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Did u check the Power Module; AC Redundant/Power supply Redundant/Not Redundant.

This should be AC Redundant to run the enclosure without any issues.

In that situation only if 1,2,3 power supplies powered off the enclosures all servers should run without any issues.
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

Power Usage was normal, AC Redundant was enabled, in fact power consumption was so low that with Dynamic Power enabled PS #6 was turned off, so it was plenty of power left.
I'm at odds here..
W Sanders
Occasional Advisor

You are screwed. The problem is with the power controller *in the chassis* not the blade.

We've had this happen TWICE in our c7000 chassis and the only remedy is to power cycle the entire chassis since the chassis firmware is not resettable or upgradeable.

By chance do you have a "HP 1:10Gb Ethernet Blade Switch" (not procurve) in an interconnect bay slot? The chassis seems to lose contact with our "HP 1:10Gb Ethernet Blade Switch" devices a few days before this problem occurs. The IC bay Error says "The device is not supported by Hewlett-Packard".

The blades will them start showing " I/O mismatch detected. Please see port mapping information." Whane you see this error, DO NOT POWER CYCLE THE BLADE, because it will not power on once the " I/O mismatch detected. Please see port mapping information." erorr is logged.

Dack
Visitor

Hi, Gerardo.

How do you solve this issue. I have a C3000 Enclosure with 2 clusters:

ClusterA1: 4 BL460c G8

Cluster B: 2 BL460c G9 with 1 BL460c G7

My BL460 G7 is showing that same message, but it still on, and It seems to work properly. 

Attached, yo can see more information.

Thanks for your help.