New Discussion

Re: Error installing RH6.1 on BL460c Gen8

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Error installing RH6.1 on BL460c Gen8

Hi,

We've just installed some Gen8 servers and I'm trying to do an install of RH6.1 x64 from the same manual process for a G7 and it's erroring out just after starting the installation of the OS after doing all the OS selection.

The error I'm seeing is Insufficient disk space, more space needed on the following: 0 M on /boot/efi.

I do get an additional storage area of 256M for the target which linked to the ilo board but I've clearly selected the 140gb RAID.

HELP!

8 REPLIES 8
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please try installing the server w/o using intelligent provisioning. It should work.

Thanks!

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Do you mean to just reboot the server, select F11 and boot to the ISO or actually disable the Intelligent Provisioning completely?

The Intelligent Provisioning doesn't seem to do a great deal for Linux as it just forces a reboot of the server and installs from the DVD.

I've done a clean reboot, F11 and select DVD but same error.

Thanks

Jason

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

You can try to disable the Virtual Install Disc in RBSU.

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Hi,

That option is already disabled however I've managed to do a workaround but need to understand what's going on.

On install I reviewed the disk layout which highlighted that it was using a 256MB iLO USB (???) drive for the BOOT/EFI. I then went back and selected the second option for storage (not Basic Storage) and then selected the main partition as before still ignoring the 256MB ILO option and this time the install has worked successfully.

So what is this 256MB iLO USB drive thats messing me about?

Thanks for you help, hopefully this thread will help other people :)

Cheers

Jase

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

A verson of Intelligent Provisioning that made it into production had the VID partition marked as bootable. Anaconda (Red Hat installer) sees the bootable flag an wants to put the boot loader there. Since the device is read only it fails.

Workaround  is to disable the VID in RBSU, or update the Inteligent Provisioning image. The latest image doesn't have the boot flag set so Anaconda just sees it as a normal partiton and won't try to install the boot loader on it.

One additional comment to your post. If the VID is disabled the OS will not see the 256mb partition.

As to what the VID is for, It contains boot critical drivers needed by some supported OSs

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Looks like we had a couple of dodgy Blades as I've not had the same issue on the others I've just done.

Thanks for confirming what it was though. Was annoying :)

Jase

vonmoses
Visitor

Hi,

some help here so if you disable this VID it wont bring any issues later?

Thanks,

vonmoses
Visitor

Hi,

after i disabled the VID and i was able to install my Centos OS without any problem

it worked like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks a lot........