BladeSystem - General
1748011 Members
4215 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Event Name: Rack power subsystem not redundant (22018)

Jim Hanson
Advisor

Event Name: Rack power subsystem not redundant (22018)

Hi,
I get these from 1 Blade cabinet whenever one of my blades reboot. All Firmware is up to date, Insight shows no errors on the Rack or Enclosures. Attaching to the mgt port shows PS as redundant with no errors.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Jim,

Whats the server blade model?
Power Enclosure -> 1U / 3U?
How many server blade enclosures and power enclosures?
Try changing the bay in the enclosure and see if it makes a difference?

SRH
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Also whats the OS and Management agent version?

SRH
Jim Hanson
Advisor

2 3U 3Phase Power
Scalable Bus Bar
5 P class enclosures

mix of 25p, 20p G2&3, xw25p, 35p

one caveat, our linux systems (which is about half the cabinet) do not have agents installed and show as blank spaces in the rack view model. All other servers are win2k3
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

We're having pretty much the same issue in our environment. Only our's is 3 enclosure's and only on single phase power. We see this event message on many of our blades, but not all of them.

According to HP's blade documents and the power usage spreadsheet, single phase power supports 3 enclosures.

I've had two HP technicians come in and say that they "think" we're using too much power. They said that we can have 3 enclosures on single phase, but if we fill more than 2 enclosures, it will no longer be redundant.

I have yet to have an official answer on this issue though. If this is the case, then HP needs to change their documentation to mention that you can use this many enlusure's, but you'll lose redundancy.

Management hasn't been too happy about this as HP sold this to us with the understanding that we'd be fully redundant.

As with you, connecting to the management port for the Power Supplies shows everything is all good.

It's my interpretation that if you are using more than 50% of the power in your power enclosure's, you are redundant for the loss of a power supply, but not an entire power enclosure. Makes sense to me, just wish we had known this before.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Is there a event log generated as well,id 1160?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00293064/c00293064.pdf
Pg 101

SRH
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

Yes, the 1160 Event is reported in the event logs on the blades. Annoyingly, every minute.

However there are no failed power supplies, and diagnostics show all power supplies are properly working. I've had 2 HP technicians come out and run full diagnostics on all the power supplies, and they say there are no issues.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Whats the version of Management agents?

SRH
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

7.51 across all baldes,

ILO firmware is at 1.84
Enclosure firmware is 2.30
Jim Hanson
Advisor

i also get the 1160
Agents at 7.51
ILO Firmware at 1.84
Enclosure Firmware at 2.30.
I have even reflashed all the firmware one at a time.