1748103 Members
4715 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: FC HBA and VC question

Mike Littman
Occasional Contributor

FC HBA and VC question

Hi guys, not sure if I am putting this in the correct forum spot. I had 2 questions.

1. Does the HP VC Flex Fabric card goe into interconnect bay 1 if I am using blades in slots bay 1,2,3,4?

2. Also the other problem I am having is it seems I am being bounced around buying all sorts of stuff I don't need. I got the VC card so I can connect the servers to a Fiber switch and boot them from SAN's.... Turns out the VC card can only do FCoE which is not how my environment is setup. Then I was told to do what i want i need to install the FC HBA cards into each server (which I did more $$$) but then I would also need Brocade 8/12c sans switch as well. So I bought that also... being fairly new to the blades I did not think anything of it. The problem now is that the brocade is a real switch and I cannot connect from switch to switch and that HP recommends the brocade being directly plugged into the SANS. So after reading online it seems like what I really need is 4GB Pass-Thru Module... that looks like it will let me connect directly from server to switch. The issue is its 2 pairs of fiber for each server... That’s a lot of ports. Is there anything else anyone recommends or is that the way to go? I don’t want to keep throwing money at this. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Mike,

go through this guide: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01096654/c01096654.pdf

To really help you we need more detail about your enviroment, bu generally if you want have blade connected to FC SAN, you still need HBA able to do this.

Jan

Mike Littman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the link.... It turns out the brocade switch we got installed works fine except we cannot control it through VC... So now we ordered a Fiber 8gb VC module which we will connect to the brocade and then brocade to SANS.... Hopefully tomorrow ill know for sure.

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Mike,

I am still confused about your enviroment and what you need, but ok - try everything.

Jan