4967 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fan Failure c-class system

Jacky Wing
Regular Advisor

Fan Failure c-class system

Hello,

I suddenly received 4 fan failures on my blade systems.
I have 8 fans installed in the right places and now I have the bottom 4 failed with no other information. How can I check for this problem and is it possible that the 4 fans go down at once?
5 REPLIES 5
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Swap one fan with one above.
Also, where do you have the fans? In the C7000 with 8 fans, the correct bays are:
1,2, 4,5
6,7, 9,10
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jack,

The HP BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure ships with four HP Active Cool Fans and supports up to 10 fans. Install fans in even numbered groups, based on the total number of server blades installed in the enclosure. Install fan blanks in any unused fan bays.

Four-fan rule:
Fan bays 4, 5, 9, and 10 are used to support a maximum of two devices located in device bays 1, 2, 9, or 10.

Six-fan rule:
Fan bays 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, and 10 are used to support a maximum of eight devices in device bays 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, or 12.

Eight-fan rule:
Fan bays 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10 are used to support a maximum of 16 devices in any device bay.

Ten-fan rule:
All fan bays are used to support a maximum of 16 devices in any device bay

Is it possible that the 4 fans go down at once?
Normally No. It may be a Fake alert during the Update.

What does the OA show in the User interface. can you attach a screen shot.

Regards,
Raghuarch
Jacky Wing
Regular Advisor

Actually the fans are OK, and they are on the right place. for 8 fans i followed the 8 fans rule. I also followed the 6 fans rule with same problem. I tested the fans by putting them in the place of the working ones with no problem.
now my blades are working but with less fans and the temperature is getting high. I guess we should replace the backplane :S.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Yes, if you have interchanged the fans and they work on the top bays, then there's a problem on the enclosure backplane.
This will require stopping all the blades and disassembling the enclosure.
Jacky Wing
Regular Advisor

HP is working on the case right now, hopefully we won't be required to change the backplane.