108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fault (red) LED on p-Class power enclosure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Fault (red) LED on p-Class power enclosure

Im not too good with Blade systems and I have a customer with a p-class blade enclosure connected to a 1U power enclosure.
They have recently noticed that the Fault LED is red on the Power enclosure management card.
They are also getting the following errors in Windows event logs and the HP IML.

"Machine Environment: power enclosure overheating (Zone 6, Location power supply, Temp 113C, Enclosure serial number XXXXXXXXXX)"

They seem to have 2 PSUs in the power enclosure (bay 1 and 6) and both have green LEDs.

There is no obvious temp coming out of the PSUs, and the error keeps repairing itself then happening again.

Im not sure if its a faulty PSU or what?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks
Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
8 REPLIES 8
PDarmanin
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mark,

I have same problem here. We replaced the power supply and got same error with the new power supply.

Any one had this problem before?
Any Help

Regards,

Pierre
MrVJTod
Solution

This forum post
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1060208

References the event log entries
Power enclosure overheating

and there is an Advisory link to a possible fix
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00774329&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

for a firmware update
Server Blade and Power Management Module Firmware version 2.32

I've seen both of the errors mentioned in the above article and I hope this will address my problems.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Mark,

I would suggest as above that you upgrade the blade and power enclosure firmware to the latest.

And look at the server BIOS firmware and check if that needs updating for updates in reporting issues.

Also look at the system management homepage and insight agents for the same thing.

And finally - how are the blades and PSUs laid out in the enclosure? Have you tried moving it to position 4 for better airflow?
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Thanks guys for the help.
Ok a couple of questions...

1. Do I update the FW through one of the Blades via Windows?
2. Do I have to do every blade in the enclosure?
3. Can the reboot of the Power enclosure be done seperately from the blade enclosure?
4. Can the reboot be delayed until the customer can bring the equipment down (the blades are running a live banking system)

And to Adrian, the blade enclosure is full. The Power enclosure has PSUs in position 1 and 6.

Im due to go to site to do this in about 4/5hrs so any response before then would be most appreciated

Thanks
Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff Allen_5
Valued Contributor

1) FW can be upgraded via a blade running Windows or Linux. In windows, look in the HP System Tools Start Menu Folder, on Linux run cpqblru - both will require you to d/l the latest fw from HP.COM/Servers/Swdrivers. It will want to upgrade the power and enclosure backplane of all connected enclosures - you need to let it do this as HP does not support mixed enclosure fw revs.

2) You only need to do it once from one blade

3) You can reboot the mgmtm modules at any time and not affect the running blades

Also, plug a serial cable into the service port on the affected enclosure and click (hyperterminal 9600/8/n/1) and see what the Fault is (hit F).
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I updated the FW from v2.30 to v2.32 on both the blade enclosure and the power enclosure.
The customer rebooted everything that night and the problem seems to have gone.

Thanks
Mark...

Patrick Fowley

I'm having the same problem but I can't find the enclosure firmware to download anywhere. Could someone please supply a lnk to the p-class enclosure firmware?

Many thanks,

Patrick
Patrick Fowley

Found it! http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp
?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=397630&swItem=MTX-9e0e8e8
0b2d545eeaa26c38678&prodNameId=3288174&swEnvOID=2025&swLang=8&taskId=135
&mode=4&idx=1