1752766 Members
5028 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fibre Channel Virtual Connect - blades not seeing SAN

CCW_NS
Occasional Contributor

Fibre Channel Virtual Connect - blades not seeing SAN

I've got a c7000 chasis with the 4GB fibre channel virtual connect module, DL465c blades with QLogic mezzanine cards. All of these are on the latest firmware.

I have a Cisco SAN switch connected to the V/C modules and also to an EMC Clariion

The Cisco can see the V/C modules (e.g. it puts the ports into NPIV mode) but the switch can't see any of the blade HBAs. The switch can see two WWNs - but these bear no relation to the WWNs of the blade HBAs (one is vendor ID 10:00:00 the other is vendor ID 50:01:43)

The V/C is configured to connect the blades to the SAN, but no joy. I've tried with blades running both VMware and SLES 10, but neither works.

I don't know how to troubleshoot this thing (I'm starting to get out of my depth with fibre channel here...) Can someone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks,

GTG
2 REPLIES 2
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Re: Fibre Channel Virtual Connect - blades not seeing SAN

Have you created a profile yet and then mapped it to the server.

And then defined which of the external VC-SAN ports the profile is seen out of?
CCW_NS
Occasional Contributor

Re: Fibre Channel Virtual Connect - blades not seeing SAN

Managed to fix this in the end...

The solution is simple, but very frustrating.

You have to switch EVEYRTHING off. Your fiber channel switches, the blades and the virtual connect modules. Switch 'em all off.

Then power up your F/C switches. Wait for them to boot up. Next, power-up the VirtualConnect modules, and wait for them to sign onto the F/C switches (this may take a while). Finally, you can switch on your blades and everything will work..