New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware Update Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Daniela,

No need to make any bootable media at all...

If you boot FROM the FW Maintenance CD, it loads some kind of linux and the offline update should work.

I think I have a hint for you...

Can you try the update with a cache module? I think it should work :-)
danobi
Frequent Advisor

The need to make a bootable DVD was because 9.10 did not include HPD7. It worked by creating a multisession DVD as mentioned earlier.

I did include in this not only the HPD7 scexe but also the latest firmware for the array controller. The latter worked perfectly by calling it with sh *.scexe. The first did seem to work as well, but after the reboot the firmware was still HPD3.
The same picture now with FW 9.20: Firmware was upgraded, reboot needed -> no change, still HPD3.

So for me it seems to be proven that the issue is with the HPD7 firmware and nothing else.

I am looking forward to HPs answer, no word from 2nd level so far.
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

You didn't mention if there is cache module on the controller or not. And do you have the option to install one for testing?
danobi
Frequent Advisor

I do not see any cache module in the SMH, just P410i, no battery status.
But I remember getting a lot of accelerator board status change messages in HPSIM from our blades. I discarded them all because no error was visible.

Is the cache module firmware not included in the 9.20 DVD? I did a complete update with the 9.20.

Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The main idea behind the Cache module is the fact, that I've seen some cases where you are not able to perform FW upgrade of the HDD WITHOUT having a cache module. This module is simply ram+battery that enhances the performance of the controller and "unlocks" a few features.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13201_div/13201_div.html

For example:
Online array expansion (with BBWC/FBWC upgrade)
Online Advanced Capacity Expansion (with BBWC/FBWC and Smart Array Advanced Pack upgrade)
Online logical drive extension (with BBWC/FBWC upgrade)
Online RAID level migration (with BBWC/FBWC upgrade)
Online strip size migration (with BBWC/FBWC upgrade)
Offline Mirror splitting and recombining (with BBWC/FBWC and Smart Array Advanced Pack upgrade)
Unlimited global online spare assignment
User selectable expand and rebuild priority
User selectable RAID level and stripe size
User selectable read and write cache sizes

Updating the firmware should work without BBWC, but I was wondering if you can find from somewhere BBWC and try.

I'm quite curious what Level 2 will say :)
danobi
Frequent Advisor

Not a single one of our BL460 G6 has been delivered with BBWC.
I have discovered some E200i controllers with BBWC, that I might be able to use instead of the 410er.

No word from HP so far. Today I forwarded your hint about the BBWC and my question regarding the compatibility of E200i to BL460 G6 (found no information on the net about that).

We'll see...
Daniela
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

I don't think it's compatible. Maybe someone who has tested, could help us :) But the part for the BBWC kit for e200 is quite different than the one for p410.

danobi
Frequent Advisor

Yeah, I thought so after reading "minimum requirement 256MB". Our E200i have 96MB.
danobi
Frequent Advisor

a little update:
HP has requested fotos of the hdd's labels. They intend to investigate into the build numbers. Those are indeed pretty much in one line.

So far no feedback yet.

danobi
Frequent Advisor

Finally:

I pointed HP to this thread and they sent me a cache module to try it out.
The update went fine.
They could reproduce the error and the solution in their lab too so I hope there will be an advisory soon.

The 9.20B firmware DVD does not contain a fixed version.

We will be upgrading all our 410i controllers with a cache module.

Thanks again for all your help!
Daniela