New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firmware Updates for Blade Servers & Compatibility Matrix

SOLVED
Go to solution
JL123
Frequent Advisor

Firmware Updates for Blade Servers & Compatibility Matrix

Hi there,

We are currently looking at upgrading our PSP's on our Windows Server 2003's which are running on bl460/465's. Not part of the PSP, but that are still on the HP Version Control Agent page, I can see there are firmware updates for the following:

Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP ProLiant BL460c (I15) Servers -
Current Version: 2008.11.02
Latest Version: 2009.05.12

Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP Integrated Lights-Out 2 -
Current Version: 1.70
Latest Version: 1.78

Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Smart Array E200 and E200i -
Current Version: 1.80
Latest Version: 1.82

So obviously I can upgrade the iLO's anytime as they don't affect the server, but I would say with the updates for the server bios firmware and the smart array controller, I will need to reboot the servers.

Just wanted to get some feedback, is it fine to do the ROM upgrades for the BIOS and smart array from within Windows using the exe's to install? Or do we need to use the firmware CD?

Also are there any problems with upgrading to these updates? I would just like to get our server fleet to a consistent and the latest versions. There is also the HP compatbility matrix which recommends the latest iLO / bios versions (but does not mention the smart array controller).

Website for that matrix is: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class.html
3 REPLIES 3
Sobhan Majumder
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi JL123,

There will be no problem if you upgrade the BIOS and firmwares. Sometimes online BIOS or firmwares are found more updated than the version of Firmware Maintenance CD. So updating the BIOS/Firmwares online is the best option if it is available.

I want to add little more in this regards. Please update your OA firmware also for being trouble free.

Compatibility matrix is given for OA firmware version 2.41 and 2.51. What it does mean is if you want to update your OA firmware version to 2.41/2.51 then you should update the firmware of relative components(given in same column) first.
Otherwise you may face issues.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Update ILO, Power firmware, BIOS and OA in that order to avoid any problems.
JL123
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the responses. I have downloaded the 8.50 firmware CD and I will update all our current servers and add this to our process for new servers.