1752732 Members
6297 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware update using Smart Update DVD on BL460c G1 - now HBA cards absent

Dan.Kim
Occasional Contributor

Firmware update using Smart Update DVD on BL460c G1 - now HBA cards absent

I am experiencing problems after using the latest firmware update DVD to update the blade server's firmware. I use the offline update method - boot the server to CD (mounted via ISO stored in USB flash plugged in to the back of the OA module), then let the automatic update handle the stuff.

What I found is that some of the blade servers failed to reboot and got stuck on the SUM screen for hours before I was forced to do a hard power down on the blades. Now some of the blade servers comes up just fine, but some of the blade servers is either missing an HBA card (emulex LPe1105) entirely, or one of the ports does not come up at all. I have used this method to upgrade the blade server's firmware multiple times and never experienced this type of behavior until now. Any thoughts on how to recover the missing HBA card/port?

I have tried to boot the affected server to firmware update DVD ISO and used interactive update. After going thru all the update scans, the HBA update will not show.
4 REPLIES 4
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Firmware update using Smart Update DVD on BL460c G1 - now HBA cards absent

Hello,
do you see "missing" HBA's inside OA in server info part?

Jan
Dan.Kim
Occasional Contributor

Yes, they do appear on the OA page.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,
what can you try:

- put HBA into another mezannine port and run offline firmware update again
- put "failing" HBA instead of working HBA in working server and see if works. If not, I am afraid it died somehaw and use have to contact HP to replacing.

btw - I noticed similar failing blade ILO's during firmware update !?!? resulted in replacing motherboards.

Jan
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

I'd try to:
1)Resetting the BIOS to defaults.
2)Issuing a "reset server X" command from the OA ssh interface.