108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Flex 10 Virtual Connect and 1Gb RJ-45 SFP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sam_Lees
Frequent Advisor

Flex 10 Virtual Connect and 1Gb RJ-45 SFP

Does anyone have the Ethernet Flex 10 Virutal Connect configured with only 1Gbe SFP modules ? If so can anyone confirm on the max configuration of 1Gb SFP modules allowed per VC, and if there are any limitations other than bandwidth over subscription ?

After several enquiries and several different answers from HP Presales, I am now under the impression that we can install 8 x 1Gb SFP modules per Flex 10 VC.

I would like to hear if anyone has this configuration running and how you have carved up your Flexnic's ?

HP BLc VC Flex-10 Enet Module Opt 455880-B21

HP Bladesystem 1Gb RJ-45 SFP Opt Kit 453154-B21

Regards
Sam
3 REPLIES 3
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can install 8 X 1Gb SFPs in each Flex-10 module, but it will disable the stacking links. Port 1 is shared with the CX4 port that is typically used for stacking VC modules vertically. Ports 7&8 are shared with the stacking links that connect VC modules horizontally through the enclosure midplane. If you configure the SFP ports, the stacking links are disabled. Virtual Connect will show this as an error. It may or may not be an issue depending on how your VC networks are configured.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Sam_Lees
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Ken
Cray
Frequent Advisor

I am a new comer to Flex-10 VC. So, may I help your help to clarify if the concept is right.
------
Now , the case has 1 x c7000 , and 16 x BL460c each with embedded dual-port flex-10 server adapter. So , in a c7000 enclosure , there're 32-port flex-10 adapter in total.

Each of the 16 servers needs only one uplink connection, and in the same sub-net (for example: 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.16).

If there's just a single Flex-10 VC ethernet module installed in bay 1 and there're 5 x 453154-B21 installed in the x2 - x6 ports of the Flex-10 VC module, and uplink to a procurve 2500G-24 how many bandwidth one single server will be able to have ??

I believe each of the server port can be up to 10Gbps in the Virtual Connect Management Console. But , it can't be truch , since the uplink bandwidth should be shared within only 5 physical 1Gb connections.

So, is it 5 Gbps per each server's uplink ? 1 Gbs per each server's uplink ? or 5/16 Gbps per each server's uplink ? or some other answers else ?

Thx