1753776 Members
6916 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Flex-10 nics and ESXi DCC compatibility

Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Thanks Matt for confirming. It's a relief to know it is like that (I don't have to be troubleshooting anymore). I was worried I had something wrong somewhere...

Regards,
Jorge
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

BTW, does anyone knows can I query the ESXi (4.1) for the NIC driver version? That is, I want to find out the exact version of the stock bnx2x from ESXi 4.1. It's a disappoining that you can't find out this by using the vSphere Client.

I installed for the first time the vMA server and I tried some commands there against the ESXi but so far I'm unable to find the driver version number.

Regards,
Jorge
Matt Kra

SSH into the ESXi host.

esxupdate query --vib-view | grep -i bnx2x

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/faq_drivers.php

Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Arrgh. Thanks again Matt! That worked. I forgot about enabling SSH in the ESXi! That was easier! Here's the output:

deb_vmware-esx-drivers-net-bnx2x_400.1.54.1.v41.1-1vmw.0.0.260247

So...I guess, as you mentioned, we'll have to wait for an updated driver.

All the best,
Jorge
Antonio Milanese
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

@Matt

Thanks for your report, i've recived the same response from HP..hope the new driver will be released soon =)

@dchmax

i know that with 3.5 and 4.0u1 downgrading the nic boot fw (and disabling DCC) works, but i want to keep failover times as low as possible and btw beaconing is an overkill if you have multiple VLANs :/

Anyhow with bnx2x v1.52.12.v40.3 DCC is working smoothly so i'll stick with this setup until the new 4.1 driver is out and tested =)

Thanks to all and regards,

Antonio
StefanW
Advisor

Same problem over here; running a c7000 config with Flex-10 nics's and ESX 4.1. Anyone got the new driver we need ? I've also opened a case at VMware. They need to investigate the problem; waiting for an answer.

Stefan
bb4vm
Advisor

I have been having the same problem. Here is some information that HP Support provided me:

SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER ADVISORY
Document ID: c02476622
Version: 1
Advisory: VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1 - Broadcom bnx2x VMware ESX Driver Version 1.54 Does Not Function With Virtual Connect Device Control Channel (DCC) and SmartLink Capability for 10 Gb Broadcom Adapters in VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1
NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.
Release Date: 2010-08-13
Last Updated: 2010-08-13

DESCRIPTION
The Broadcom bnx2x VMware ESX Driver Version 1.54 does not function with HP Virtual Connect Device Control Channel (DCC) and SmartLink features on ProLiant and Integrity server blades configured with the NC532m or the NC532i adapter running firmware version 2.2.6. After installing or upgrading VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1 the following functionality is either not installed or is lost:
1. New installation - DCC and SmartLink functionality is unavailable in an HP Virtual Connect environment with the NC532m or NC532i Network Adapters after installing VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1.
2. Upgrade installation - If the bnx2x Asynchronous Driver Update CD version 1.52 was previously installed on a VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0 host, DCC/SmartLink capabilities will be lost after upgrading to VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1, which will overwrite the bnx2x driver version 1.52 with version 1.54 that is included with the base VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1operating system.
3. Network failover - ProLiant and Integrity server blades hosting VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1 may lose network failover capabilities that use the VMware ESX NIC teaming failover policy (vSwitch setting) "Link Status only."
SCOPE
Any ProLiant and Integrity server blade with Virtual Connect Version 2.30 (or later) and configured with the NC532m or NC532i adapter firmware version 2.2.6. after installing VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1 with the Broadcom bnx2x VMware ESX Driver Versions 1.54.

RESOLUTION
As a workaround, to allow network failover capabilities, use VMware Beacon Probing to determine proper VM NIC link status as follows:
Reconfigure the VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1 NIC teaming failover policies to "Beacon Probing." This modification will remove the dependency on SmartLink to toggle the VM NICs failing link status mapped to a FlexNIC.
There is no workaround that supports the Virtual Connect DCC and SmartLink capabilities with VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1 and the Broadcom bnx2x VMware ESX Driver Version 1.54.
This advisory will be updated when an updated driver is released to support DCC and SmartLink capabilities in Virtual Connect on ProLiant server blades.
Aaronb
Occasional Advisor

It is now Oct and there is still no driver!

This bug is precenting me from deploying vSphere 4.1 and it making me question our recent LARGE investment in new Blades.

Has anyone found a viable workaround other than switching to an Active/Standby uplink mode?

Thanks
Aaron B
Tate Eskew

I agree Aaron. We spent a huge amount of money on this infrastructure and still no driver. It's quite ridiculous.
AaronK
Frequent Advisor

We have a bunch of bl460c g6s also and are having nothing but problems with the 1.52.12.v40.3 driver: PSODs and total loss of network connectivity under heavy network load.
We are running ESX 4.0 U2.
HP support is recommending we downgrade to version 1.48.107. Is that what other people have been doing also?