1753758 Members
4667 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Flex Fabric

dtoflaherty
Occasional Contributor

Flex Fabric

I am new to blades and need an answer to my problem.

I have been tasked with reducing the complexity of our network cabling - ethernet switches, fibre switches etc. Our current environment has 8 chassis with blades distributed accross those. The virtual estate requires an upgrade and this is determined to be an ideal time to try and implement this lower network complexity and try to reduce cost.

There are 11 hosts that will be reduced to 8 ( there is eight because of a large volume of blades 460's g1 that are to be virtualised)

The existing bl685 g5 host networking config is this

HBAs: 2 dual-channel ISP2432-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI Express HBA, 1 single-channel Smart Array

E200i

NICs: 2 dual-port Broadcom BCM5715S Gigabit Ethernet, 2 single-port Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708

1000Base-SX, 1 dual-port HP NC326i Integrated Dual Port PCI Express Gigabit Server Adapter.

On the old host there are 8 eth nics and 4 fibre nics.

On the new bl 465c G8 host the config will be using the FlexLOM mezzanine to split 2 Fibre and 6 Network through the 2 10GB FlexLOM cards

We want to use flex fabric modules . So I need to know where this cabling is reduced

Please can some one me calculate the reduction in Fibre ports ethernet ports required with the fibre flex solution,

1 REPLY 1
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Flex Fabric

There is a cable reduction as much as 16:1 when HP Virtual Connect FlexFabric Module is used. An explanation is available at section Technical Specifications > Product Specifications Software >Industry Standard NPIV Support and Data Center Connectivity, in the module’s QuickSpecs, locatable at the following link:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13652_div/13652_div.HTML

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo