1752753 Members
4646 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Flex10 Internel Network selection

Tim Yeung_1
Frequent Advisor

Flex10 Internel Network selection

Our blade enclosure has 16 BL460-G6 - each with LOM flex10 and a Mezz flex10 card (16 flexNICs total). For an internal only network (with no external uplinks), how do you specify to use the Mezz flex10 module instead of the LOM flex10 module?

Thanks

Tim
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

The LOMs on BL460 always go to interconnect bay 1+2 and the first Mezz to bay 3+4, as described on page 13 here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00810839/c00810839.pdf

So AFAIK you choose the LOM/Mezz by choosing which interconnect module you are configuring.
Tim Yeung_1
Frequent Advisor

Sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify my question ...

I know the LOM flex10 NICs map to bays 1&2, and the Mezz flex10 NICs map to bays 3&4. But there is a single virtual connect domain for the entire enclosure. In the VC Manager, I need to create an internal-only network for VMware VMotion (see attached screen shot). Since there are no external uplinks for this network, how do I specify that it should run on the Mezz NICs instead of the LOM NICs?

Thanks

Tim
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

In VC Manager, Define Network. Give it a name but don't identify any uplink ports (internal only)..

Then in your server profiles add network connections for port 3 and 4 (those are your mezz ports MZ1:1A and 2A). Use the drop down to join those ports to the network you defined above.

Flex 10 mapping adds NICs in a round robin like fashion.... if you add network connections it "carves" multiple NICs out of your LOMs and MEZZ's... try it.
Tim Yeung_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info. I think I understand it now ...

From the 4 flex10 modules. I have 16 flexNICs (ports). When defining a server profile, the ports are mapped in a round robin manner like this:

Bay 1 = ports 1,5,9,13
Bay 2 = ports 2,6,10,14
Bay 3 = ports 3,7,11,15
Bay 4 = ports 4,8,12,16

So if I want VMotion runing on the Mezz flex10 modules, then I should assign the VMotion network to ports 3&4, or to ports 7&8.

And if there are only 2 networks for the LOM flex10, then I should leave ports 9,10,13,14 unassigned (unused). Right?

Thanks again.

Tim