4661 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: GBE2C Configuration for redundancy

Dario Palermo
Advisor

GBE2C Configuration for redundancy

Hello,
I need some tip on the basic principles in configuring some network components (various blade server in a BL7000 enclosure - two gbe2c - one stand alone switch).

That's what I think has to be done:

1) On the blade servers: team the two NIC using the NCU

2) On the GBE2C: no idea if the default config is good for what I need

3) On the external switch: I'm not sure... do I have to set up a trunk with all the ports going to the GBE2Cs? for example: if i connect 1 port on every GBE2C (total conn. ports on the ext. switch: 2) to this external switch, do I need to create a trunk with both ports?

Also: the external switch does not support STP: is this a problem in my configuration?

thanks to anyone kind enough to help me out on this! ;)

Dario Palermo
7 REPLIES 7
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Dario,

thanks for your query.

You need to understand how port mapping is done in C7000 enclosure.

e.g. NIC 1 of all the blades are going to GBE2C Switch 1 and NIC 2 of all the blades are going to GBE2C switch 2.

Check the technology brief for more details
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00816246/c00816246.pdf

NIC teaming : you can use NCU to create team for individual blade based on the requirement.

Port mapping information provided inthe guide will answer rest of the questions.

Hope this helps,

thanks,
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Dario Palermo
Advisor

That part is clear to me.

As said, I teamed up the two NIC on the blade servers.

Now, one nic is physically connected to the right GBE2C and the other one is connected to the left GBE2C.

I was (erroneously) thinking that the two switches are "seen as one", therefore I was thinking about port trunking...

Instead, the solution relies on STP, right?

If so, the external switch (where the two GBE2C are connected) as to support STP, right?

Thanks

Dario Palermo
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Dario,

thanks for your understanding.

GBE2C is layer 2/3 switch and has almost all the features that we have in external switch including STP.

check the page 34 of GBE2C switch user guide
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00701541/c00701541.pdf

example support doc which talks about compatiblity between GBE2c and Cisco
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=1845925&prodTypeId=329290&objectID=c01841750

So this is purely based on the external network to which you want to connect blade enclosure.

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Dario Palermo
Advisor

I actually have a Procurve 1800-24g on the other end... not a STP enabled device.

I can swap places with a 3400cl: should do the job, right? Do I need to configure the GBE2C and/or the 3400cl or can I use the default config?

Thanks
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

If you are going to have any redundant links in your Ethernet switches then you need to have STP enabled. STP prevents loops in your Ethernet topology from generating broadcast storms.
You need to review the GBE2c documentation for basic setup information. If you have a Cisco switch you are also going to need to review and implement the basic setup.
I would recommend reviewing the features LACP and STP.
Note: With Cisco switches ports are not enabled by default, so you have to do some configuration. The Procurve switch has all ports enabled by default. All Procurve switches have this feature except for the 7000 series.
If you are going to have any redundant links, you have to plan your network topology and configure each switch appropriately.
Dario Palermo
Advisor

Hi Terri,
the network topology is the one posted in my first message and is not so complex: 2 nics in every blade server, 2 GbE2C and 1 external switch (actually: Procurve 1800-24g). port 21 from each GbE2c are connected to the Procurve.

I made some efforts:

1) Configured the nic teams on the server as NFT (Network Fault Tolerant)
2) enabled ports 17 & 18 on the two GbE2c

This way, I'm using an active/passive configuration, not the best solution...

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing...

Need some help.

Thanks

Dario Palermo
Dario Palermo
Advisor

Here's my actual network topology

Dario