Misbah Elalami
Advisor

Guide to do a full c7000 firmware update

Hiya Ladies & Gents,

We have a c7000 enclosure that has the following blades:

1. Proliant BL 465C G1 x5 blades - windows OS
2. Proliant BL 460C G1 x 1 blade - windows OS
3. Server BL860c x4 blades - HP-UX 11.23

Attached is the firmware rack overview from OA. I need to completely upgrade all firmware on the enclosure and the blades as well as any relevant software packs. I read a ton of information online in disparate HP documents and deployment tools and I am totally confused and lost as to where to begin. I read the best practices guide as well and I still do not completely understand what I need to do to upgrade firmware.

Can someone kindly help/direct me on what needs to be done step by step. I'd like to do as much online updates to minimize downtime as I can, but if the offline methods are easier then that is fine with me as well. I just need one concise guide/method/document and the exact firmwares I need to get this activity done.

Thanks in advance for any of your helps/direction - it is much appreciated.

Cheers,
10 REPLIES 10
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: Guide to do a full c7000 firmware update

hmm go here it has never been easier download the bundle thats all burn iso boot from it and click away just read the readme with the download it is straight forward not like before.this is latest version too 1.7 bundle

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class.html#tab3_content

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)
Misbah Elalami
Advisor

Thanks for this -

I am still unclear on how I would patch the interconnect bays - I have two brocade san switches as well as two cisco 3020's - or would I need to even worry about these being patched?

Thanks
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

this is noted under key benefits

it does it all and is simplified not like before

Key Benefits

HP BladeSystem Online Firmware Bundle - Online
o For online (OS├в s running) updating of c-Class firmware across multiple enclosures, server blades, Onboard Administrators, and Virtual connect modules. Note: a re-boot of the server├в s OS is needed for the firmware updates to take effect. This can be scheduled subsequent to the online updates.
o Includes the HP Smart Update Manager tool and a compatible set of c-Class firmware (according to the c-Class compatibility chart at the above tab)
o HP BladeSystem c-Class specific online firmware and software components that are tested and supported as a bundled set.
o Installation is on a PC or Server, setup HP SUM for all the enclosure in the network, and use it to update all the firmware on several enclosures, blades, and VC modules.

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

update those 2 seperately then do reboot command from cli to Onboard administrator,,

or pull out the Onbaord admin , physically for say 30 seconds fans will go full speed thats normal reinsert it it will do a new discovery,
and use all new firmwares optimally

users will not be disconnected when OA is pulled out..
even if you do not have a redundant oa

Misbah Elalami
Advisor

Thanks alot for your help - I will go ahead and give it all a try ...

Cheers -

P.S I hit submitt points, but it never asked me how much I would like to contribute... please let me know if you see some points for this
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmm i think you have to submit and save apply

ps see the link

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

tip when points are applied yu will see them to on this page by name
The Brit
Honored Contributor

You must be logged into the forum to assign points.

If you are logged in then all of the responses will have a "Points" window at the top right. Enter the points here.

When you have assigned all of the points, THEN click on "assign points"

and "Bob's your Uncle".

Dave.

I need to know what is the latest 460c G1 blade firmware compatible with OA firmware version 2.51?
The latest 9.2 Firmware CD for 460cG1 does not allow for access to the blade hardware information from the OA firmware version 2.51.
So how far back do I need to go?
The key to success is persistence