4139 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HBA issue with SAN Switch

H S Z
Regular Advisor

HBA issue with SAN Switch

Hi,
i have 1 c7000 enclosure with 15 bl460c servers in it. Each server has an FC Mezannine card in slot 1.
i have 2 VC ethernet switches in interconnect bay 1 and 2.
i have 2 VC FC switches in interconnect bay 3 and 4. bay 5 to 8 are empty.
i have 2 SAN switches (A and B) and they are 4/32 hp brocade switches.
i have linked the 4 FC ports from Bay 3 to SAN switch A and the other 4 FC Ports from B4 to SAN switch B
i have an EVA8100 which has 2 controllers. each controller is connected to both SAN switches A and B.
When i go to my SMA, i see only WWN of port 2 for server 1 to 14, and for 15, i dont see it at all.
i changed the HBA of server 15, i still dont see it.
i moved the server to slot 16 which is free, still i dont see it.
when i login to the SAN switch, and check the device details of port 2 (to port 2, i have connected port 1 from internet bay 3), i see all the 4 WWN that port 1 of VC-FC is support to see.

has anyone faced such issue?
appreciate your prompt assistances.
thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

The HBAs need to log into the SAN before any device will know it's there. An HBA will log in when a driver is loaded, or if you have it scan the fabric using the ROM based utility on the HBA.

Another possibility is that the SAN switch the VC-FC module is connected to does not support NPIV. Is the firmware new enough to support NPIV? is NPIV enabled on the switch?
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

And surely You have zoned both SAN fabrics ?

Go to server FC card bios (ctrl + Q) and scan for storage there. If You don't see the HSV210 controllers from both interfaces I would check the zoning.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi