7686 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 1Gb Pass-thu module fail-over

h4ng0ver
Occasional Advisor

HP 1Gb Pass-thu module fail-over

Hi all
I'm new to the balde world and i have a few questions for you all.
I have a c3000 enclosure with 6 DL460c brades installed and two HP 1Gb pass-thu modules installed(HP recommended for redundancy), so far, under OA, I can see all the ports being mapped to the pass-thu module #1 but I'm not able to mapped any port to the pass-thu module #2. At first, I thought if the first module fails, all ports of all blades installed should be automatically mapped to pass-thu module #2, but it doesn't seem to work that way.
Is there a setting to do that?
Thanks for the helps
Andy
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The backplane connections from the blades to the I/O modules are hardwired and cannot be changed. The pass-thru modules don't have any failover functionality.

The c3000 enclosure routes the integrated NICs of each blade to I/O module #1, so there is no possibility for I/O module redundancy without buying additional NIC mezzanine cards for the blades. The recommendation given to you seems to have been incomplete.

In the c3000 enclosure, the connections of the mezzanine slot #1 on each blade will all be routed to I/O module #2.

The c7000 enclosure has a different backplane routing: it divides the integrated NICs to two I/O module slots. It allows I/O module redundancy without adding NIC mezzanine cards, but on the other hand it requires 2 I/O modules to use all the internal NICs in each blade.

The details are listed in the "Enclosure Setup and Installation Guide":

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01167165/c01167165.pdf

See pages 43-46 for all the related diagrams and tables.

MK
MK
h4ng0ver
Occasional Advisor

Thank you MK. I think what we need was the HP VC modules.
Thanks again
Andy
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Andy,

You still only need 1 VC module unless you buy another 2 port NIC card for the servers.
h4ng0ver
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Adrian