5517 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 7000C how to configure network port mapping

Jedda
Occasional Advisor

HP 7000C how to configure network port mapping

Hi

HP 7000c is new to me.what i want is to map one port to external network.
I have three blade server all the of them are connected with total 4 network and 2 fiber on each.

Now i want to map one more port,any one who can help me to configure it because onboard administrator i was not able to find any option.

thanks
jed

13 REPLIES 13
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 7000C how to configure network port mapping

Hi Jed,

First of all, Welcome.

Second, in the rear of your c7000 there are 8 "Interconnect" Bays. What type of modules do you have installed there, and what bays are the modules in??

Third, what type and generation blades are you using, and do you have Mezzanine cards installed. If you do, what type of Mezz cards, and which Mezz slots are you using??

You should understand, there is no way of connecting a blade directly to an external network without passing through an interconnect module of some type.

Dave.
Jedda
Occasional Advisor

4x HP 1Gb Ethernet Pass-Thru Module for c-Class BladeSystem
2xHP 4Gb Fibre Channel Pass-thru Module for c-Class BladeSystem
3x ProLiant BL460c G1 blade server.

I am not sure about Mezz but i have attached a file,maybe this help you out about mezz.

I know that it should some how connect with interconnect connection. I have worked with IBM blade.

Thanks
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi Jed.

Looks good so far.

1. bl460c G1 blade has two onboard NICs. These NICs are HARD-mapped to IC modules in Bays 1 & 2, i.e. NIC port 1 maps to IC Module 1, and NIC Port 2 maps to IC Module 2.

2.The pass-thru modules have 16 HARD downlinks, one to each Server Bay. And 16 outward facing Uplinks. The correspondence is 1-to-1. i.e.

Uplink 1, on passthru module 1, connects to downlink 1, and then to server bay 1, NIC Port 1.
Uplink 2, on passthru module 1, connects to downlink 2, and then to serverbay 2, NIC Port 1.

So any uplink connected to passthru #1 will always talk to Onboard NIC Port 1

Similarly, any uplink connected to passthru #2 will always talk to Onboard NIC Port 2

From your attachment it is not possible to say whether IC 3 & 4 are your additional Ethernet passthru's or your FC passthru's, so I will assume that 3 & 4 are ethernet.

If this is true, then the card on Mezzanine slot 1 must be additional ethernet ports.

The ports on the Mezz1 card are HARD wired to IC Bays 3 & 4, and the rules are similar to above, i.e.

Any uplink connected to passthru #3 will always talk to Mezz1 NIC Port 1

Similarly, any uplink connected to passthru #4 will always talk to Mezz1 NIC Port 2

Again, if the above is true, them the card on the Mezzanine slot 2 must be FC, and the modules in IC Bays 5 & 6 must also be FC. The rules for FC are pretty much the same,

Any uplink connected to FC passthru #5 will always talk to Mezz2 HBA Port 1

Similarly, any uplink connected to FC passthru #6 will always talk to Mezz2 HBA Port 2.

so to summarize, For a server in Bay N,

Onboard NIC Pt 1 -> IC Bay #1, Port N
Onboard NIC Pt 2 -> IC Bay #2, Port N
Mezz 1 NIC Pt 1 -> IC Bay #3, Port N
Mezz 1 NIC Pt 2 -> IC Bay #4, Port N

Mezz 2 HBA Pt 1 -> IC Bay #5, Port N
Mezz 2 HBA Pt 2 -> IC Bay #6, Port N

Note: this makes NIC teaming easy to follow, ie. a team can be set up between the two ports on the Onboard NICs. Try to think of the physical set up as Left/Right redundency.

With the above setup, connecting to the external network/SAN is straight forward. Just connect to the port on the IC module which has the same number as the server you want to talk to. Choose the IC module to give you the correct NIC port.

Dave.

Jedda
Occasional Advisor

it├В┬┤s way above my head :).
one thing is correct 1-4 are network module and 5-6 HBA.

I am running esx in blade server.
Four nic already configured in 7000c for each blade server, how would i add another nic for esx pesap (please explain simple as possible).

lets say how and where i can configure extra nic for esx :).

thanks

cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

I don't think you can with pass thru modules. It's a one to one relationship as described.

You would need additional pass thru's in bays 7 and 8 (any maybe more mezz cards).

Jedda
Occasional Advisor

Sound like a extra investment. :)
other option if this is not possible?
for example vlan?
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Sorry Jed, I wouldn't want to give you any misleading information.

I am not an ESX, or Network guy, I am basically a Itanium/Virtual connect guy.

However, there are a couple of (perhaps) cheaper options. Unfortunately they involve significant reconfiguration.

e.g.
as suggested, you could put additional passthru's in IC Bay's 7 and 8, but this would require that you put a 4-port Ethernet Mezz card on Mezz slot 2. This would then mean that the FC Mezz would have to move to Mezz1, and the FC passthrus would move to bays 3 & 4 and the FC HBA's to Mezz 1. So now you would have

Ethernet Passthru -- Ethernet Passthru
Fibre Chn Passthru -- Fibre Chn Passthru

in your interconnects. Now, with 4 ports on Mezz2,

Port 1 goes to IC Bay 5
Port 2 goes to IC Bay 6
Port 3 goes to IC Bay 7
Port 4 goes to IC Bay 8

This will get you two additional NICs, (6, compared to the 4 you currently have.)

Long Term, for ESX you should be looking at the G6/7 blades which have 2 onboard flexNIC
(each flexNIC is 10Gb, and can be logically partitioned into 4 virtual NICs with adjustable bandwidth, giving 8 onboard NICs) To use these FlexNICs you will need to replace your passthru's with Virtual Connect. From then on, the sky's the limit.

Sorry the news isnt better.

(PS. I thought my explanation in my previous post was just about as simple as it could be, for such a complicated topic. Try reading it again and draw yourself a diagram as you go.)

Dave.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Well, lets take a step back.

Why do you need to add an additional nic?

You can do alot with 4 nic's, though having more would be "nice".

How is your ESX networking set up?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jedda
Occasional Advisor

Dave
Then you must be a virtual connect domain setup guru. :).
Back to my question
The main issue is, i am 1000km away from remote office, I donot to play with hardware remotely.
about your answer
The IC Bay's 7 and 8 are empty.
4-port Ethernet Mezz card on Mezz slot 2.the FC passthrus would move to bays 3 & 4 and the FC HBA's to Mezz 1.
Is it adding new hardware?

I still didnot get what is Mezz for?

Steve,

I would like to add dmz physical link to esx.

Last two option are vlan or remove one of nic from existing configuration.