BladeSystem - General
1753464 Members
4996 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP BLc7000 Blade to Cisco 3120G port mapping.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sheldon Lee-Wen_1
Occasional Contributor

HP BLc7000 Blade to Cisco 3120G port mapping.

Hi,

I have a BLc7000 with 4 Cisco 3120Gs in bays 1,2,5,6

I know which blade NIC's get mapped to chassis interconnect modules through the backplane (so I know that each blade NIC goes to a different switch.)

What I don't know (and was wondering if anyone knows or can point me towards the documentation) is how blades and blade NIC's get mapped to CISCO ports? Does the blade in device bay 1 have all of it's ports show up in on say, switch ports 1, etc? Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Sheldon.

5 REPLIES 5
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Sheldon,

Welcome. For the port mapping diagram, see attachment (Word Doc). Basically,

OnBoard NICS map to IC1 & 2.
Mezz Card one maps to 3 & 4
Mezz Card 2 maps to 5 & 6 (& 7 & 8), depending on howmany ports the card has.

These mappings are HARD, and cannot be changed.

Basically, each IC module has 16 hard wired "downlinks", 1 to every blade bay. This means that every installed port, (either onboard or Mezz) has a path to an interconnect bay, and providing that the interconnect bay contains an appropriate/matching module then communication will be possible.

In your case, the onboard NICs will be mapped to the 3120G's in Bays 1 & 2. Also, using bays 5 & 6, implies that you have some kind of ethernet card on Mezz 2. However, note that you will only be able to communicate through Mezz ports 1 (to bay 5) and port 2 (to bay 6). If it is a quad port card, you need additional modules in Bays 7 & 8.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Ali
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Sheldon,

please refer to page no 225 on Onboard administrator user guide which explains the port mapping pretty well.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf

as explained in the previous post, port mapping is hardcorded on the enclosure midplane. however, it does have redundant links to provide network redundancy if you have more than 1 switch.

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Sheldon Lee-Wen_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys. What I was really getting at is how do the blade NICS get mapped to cisco switch ports. I know how the ports map to switches across the back plane, but how do I determine which port on the cisco switch goes to which blade?

i.e. If I have a blade with the 2 LOM's + 2 NIC ports in MEZZ1 in chassis device bay 1, I know that:
NIC0 => switch in bay 1
NIC1 => switch in bay 2
NIC2 => switch in bay 5
NIC3 => switch in bay 6

However, within each of the CISCO switches, which switch port will each NIC show up connected to? I think each switch has probably 16 switch ports for connecting to blades. So how do those map to those switch ports?

Thanks!
Sheldon Lee-Wen_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ali. I just noticed in that guide that the drawing at the bottom of page 225 shows how the device bays map to cisco switch ports.
Bay 1 -> Port 1
Bay 2 -> Port 2
etc.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Sheldon,
I'm sure this was a typo on your part, but you said "... 2 NICs on MEZZ1."

You must have meant MEZZ2, because MEZZ1 Ports map to IC Bays 3 & 4.

Dave.