108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Blade questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
korey barrette_1
Occasional Advisor

HP Blade questions

Ok, I feel stupid for asking this, but I need to. No one at my company has ever worked with blades, with just received a test enclosure with a 20p and 2 30p's. I have everything powered up, but do not know where to go from here. Where do I get console access to setup these servers? I have heard it can be done via iLO or an external datastation. Are there any other ways? I received a plugin with my test blade servers that has a iLO port and a monitor port, unfortunately it does not fit on the front of the servers where I believe it is suppose to. Any help would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Korey:

There are a few ways you can set up the blades. The 2 more common ways are:

Manual Setup through iLo and
Scripted Install through RDP

The iLo allows you to get a remote console session when you log into the web interface. It also allows you to mount virtual media onto the server. A CD, an image, a floppy... all from your remote workstation.

RDP allows you to run automated and scripted installations.

The quickest way to get started is probably using the ilo and virtual media.

RDP is a management application as well as a deployment application. Loo here for more info on RDP...

" http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/rdp.html?jumpid=servers/rdp "

You can use RDP to install different OS's including Windows, Linux and VMware ESX Server.

To get to the ilo's interface, plug in the ilo port to your network with a dhcp server on it. On a workstation with java client, browse to the address that it leases. Log in using the password o the white tag on the front of the blade. From there it should be self explainitory, but do post more questions.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
korey barrette_1
Occasional Advisor

Does the enclosure have a designated ilo port like other HP servers or is the plug in on the front of the blade the only option for ilo?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Depending on your enclosure model, you may or may not have a single port in the back.

Take a look at the back of the enclosure. On the Management module there should be 3 labeled RJ45 ports. One oft hem should be for the iLo. If you do not have this, then you have an older enclosure. If you have the older enclosure, then each individual blade uses port 4 on the interconnect as it's iLo port. In the case of the 30's, you need to have the enhanced enclosure so my guess is that you have the 1 ilo port on the management module. Connect it up to the network with dhcp, look at the dhcp server to find teh addresses used by the blades for iLo and web browse to them.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
korey barrette_1
Occasional Advisor

First of all, I appreciate all of your help.

I looked at the management console and only have 2 ports. It says one is for the upper enclosure and one is for the bottom enclosure.

What is the interconnect? I have 2 patch panels inserted into each end of the enclosure. I would assume put 4 would be the port the far right of the enclosure if you are looking at the back of it. Which port would I use for the 30's. I am assuming the left 2 ports would be for the top 30p and the right 2 ports would be for the bottom 30p, would either of those be a ilo?

Sorry if this sounds so stupid.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Korey:

Right next to the "upper" port, like 2 inches to the right there should be another port labeled iLo if you have the Enhanced Enclosure.

"What is the interconnect?" Your Patch Panels (on each side of the enclosure)

"I have 2 patch panels inserted into each end of the enclosure. I would assume put 4 would be the port the far right of the enclosure if you are looking at the back of it."
No. It is the port furthest to the left. I believe the layout is...

4 - 3 - Enclosure - 1 - 2

"Which port would I use for the 30's. I am assuming the left 2 ports would be for the top 30p and the right 2 ports would be for the bottom 30p, would either of those be a ilo?"
As I stated, I believe you need to upgrade to the Enhanced Enclosure to properly utilize iLo on BL30's. If not, Ports 1 and 4 would be probably be for the top or bottom bl30 and ports 2 and 3 for the other (top or bottom). Each bl30 should have 1 port on each patch panel.

"Sorry if this sounds so stupid." It's not stupid at all.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
korey barrette_1
Occasional Advisor

Alright, I have one more question. What is the default admin/password combo on this puppy?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Administrator, with a capitol "A" and the password is listed on the white tag on the front of the blade.

IF you do not have the tag, you will have to bypass the ilo security by setting a dip switch inside the blade to get into it and reset the password. Afterwards, remember to disable the bypass or just leave it enabled so you can easily get in with no password.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE