1748058 Members
5163 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP C7000 Enclosure Sending False Warnings

mr_bin
Occasional Contributor

HP C7000 Enclosure Sending False Warnings

I have a C7000 chassis with 2 OA's (both running V2.6 of the FW) 4 blades (Running ESX 4.0 U1, Device bays 1 to 4) This past weekend I got stormed with false email alerts saying that blades in device bay 5 have been removed and fans were failing and the enclosure is degraded, the odd thing is 1 minute after the alert is sent out and OK message is sent clearing that alert..

I have also noticed a discrepancy in the GUI's reporting.. at the log in screen it says my enclosure is degraded but once you log in all logs are clean and there are no alerts on any device or interconnect bays (there are no visual warnings on the enclosure either) Also if you log in through SSH everything checks out despite the "degraded status" you get at logon

Is this a known issue ? or this unique to my environment ?
12 REPLIES 12
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Whats the rest of the firmware like on the ilOs, Blade BIOS and Power Firmware?
Is it up to to date? I expect not.
Best way to update them is to boot from the new Blade Firmware CD 1.70. On the firmware -cd page of any blade drivers page.
mr_bin
Occasional Contributor

All the Firmwares are up to date and they are the same on all blades and interconnect bays..

One more thing that I have noticed is that our Second blade center where is an exact copy of the first does not have these problems despite running the same version of FirmWare as the first..

It is defintaley an odd issue.. Is there any log within the system that can shed some more light on what component is causing these problems ? The emails are very vague and don't give me much to troubleshoot with..
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Look at the OA inventory report (from Enclosure Info - Enclosure Settings - Configuration Scripts). Once you have it open in a text editor, search for SHOW SYSLOG.
Hopefully this will help clarify what is going on. If you need to contact HP to review the issue this is the report you should provide.
mr_bin
Occasional Contributor

I wish that had solved the problem but unfourtunaltey it has not there is nothing out of the ordinary in the syslog for either OA's
mr_bin
Occasional Contributor

Here's a question should those "Enclosure Degraded" messaged get logged in the SYSLOG of the Active OA ?

If so I'm not seeing that happening..
Clint Phillips
Occasional Advisor

I used to see these every few days on random enclosures that were running OA firmware 2.52. I upgraded to 2.60 this week and haven't had any more notifications.

Cheers
cp
The Brit
Honored Contributor

I would like to mention that it recently came to my notice that, (on my enclosures at least) the OA's, each maintain their own log. So I would take a look at the system log under "Standby Onboard Administrator" as well.

I just want to add that I think this behaviour is really weird! Why have two system logs! Of course, it might just be me in which case I am just unlucky.

Dave
mr_bin
Occasional Contributor

The Two syslogs makes sense (to me atleast) as the OA will only log when it is active so you have to check both.. It would have been nice to have them in a centralized location.. but nothing is perfect..

My OA's are on Version 2.6.. as far as I can tell I on the current firmware for all components within the enclosure..

It is an odd problem..
Patrick Holden

I had this same problem, updated the firwmare, it did not help. It was occurring on one enclosure but not the other. Working with HP we though it was because one of my bl680c's had .5 Power management firmware and that cannot be upgraded. Then I thought maybe it's the OA and network related. I found my Standby OA in the B slot had a ping response time 400+ms, sometimes 2000+.
Once again working with HP, they told me to swap the A B OA's between slots. They told me this was ok to do, so I removed the Standby B OA and when I started remove the A, it sounded like Jet Engines revving up, lights came on like a Christmas tree, so I never took it out completey. I left it alone, but reinserted my B OA and wouldn't you know it, that corrected the problem, ping responses are <1ms, no more messages.
May GOD come and save the world NOW