1753972 Members
7988 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP C7000 Enclosure

BPMOS
Advisor

HP C7000 Enclosure

Had to relocate Blade server from Slot 11 to Slot 8 in the enclosure.

However, our backup unit was connected via Fibre to Port 11 on the additional ports below in Bay 5. In bay 5, there are ports 1 - 16 and then additional ports 9-12 and 13-16.

What port do i need to relocate the fibre lead to establish communication again with Blade 8

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
BPMOS
Advisor

Sorry, what port do i need to relocate the fibre lead to establish communication again with the Backup Device for Blade 8
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

What interconnect module You have ?
If it's a FC switch, check your zoning. You should not zone by ports (use WWN based zoning).
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
BPMOS
Advisor

How can i check the interconnect module Jarkko?

I have recently been appointed to look after this equipment so i need to get up to speed. Any help is appreciated.
BPMOS
Advisor

The MSL Fibre is running from the HP StorageWorks N1200-320 4Gb Network Storage Router to Port 11 on Bay 5 of Blade enclosure
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Log in to the Onboard Administrator. click on Interconnect Bays (on left) this should list what types of IC modules you have installed.

Your question cannot be answered without this information. It would be useful also to list the Server type (Proliant/Itanium) and model number.

Dave.
BPMOS
Advisor

Thanks. info below

HP 4Gb Fibre Channel Pass-thru Module for c-Class BladeSystem on Bay 5

Proliant 460c G1 Blade
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Since the module is a Passthru Module, the correspondence is 1-to-1. i.e. bay 1 uses port 1, bay 2 uses Port 2, etc. You should just have to move the fiber to the port corresponding to the new location of the server blade.

As far as I am aware, there is no zoning on the Pass-thru Modules, so, assuming that the connections on your SAN switch have not changed, then your zoning should not need to be changed, and you should be good to go.

If you ran a new fiber to the SAN switch, then you will have to check that the Switch Port in correctly zoned.

As pointed out earlier, you should be doing WWID Zoning and NOT Port Zoning.

Dave.

kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi,

as mentioned by Dave, since you have a pass-thru module and you moved the blade server from bay 11 to 8, you should now move the FC cable from port 11 to 8 on the interconnect in bay 5 in the back and you should not see any difference.

The ports 1-16 on a pass-thru are corresponding with the servers in bay 1-16 in the C7000 blade enclosure on a one to one relation, this is hardwired in the blade enclosure.

HTH

Kris
BPMOS
Advisor

Thanks guys. Moving to the new port worked. One final question.

If i was to run a new fiber connetion, where do you configure/check the zones etc. (San Switch ?)