1752785 Members
6002 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP C7000 - 'degraded' status for ~30 seconds, no logs

Cheshire42
Advisor

HP C7000 - 'degraded' status for ~30 seconds, no logs

I have a HP C7000 enclosure which is giving a lot of 'degraded' error messages.

There is no relevant entry in the system logs (4 lines saying I logged into the OA vs 260+ 'degraded / ok' messages over the weekend).

I can't catch the system in the act with <1minute before it rightens it's self.

The last time something like this was going on, it was the power units & the white paper w/ the mass recall / replacement.

How can I resolve this tide of 'degraded' messages? (short of disabling the alerts)

Thanks,

-Aaron
10 REPLIES 10
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Timur S Lukovkin
Regular Advisor

Install OA FW 3.00, it should fix the issue.
Jim Miller
Frequent Advisor

Just curious, but do the degraded messages only happen on enclosures that have a standby OA?

That has been my experience. We dont have standby OA in non production enclosures
jfh777
Advisor

I have redundant OAs and this has been an ongoing problem for me.

I installed the new 3.00 firmware and it resolved the issue (so far).

Justin
JDFC
Advisor

Hi

having the same isue and cannot find the root cause. we had the pb with oa 2.51 and 2.52 and did an update to 2.60. As this was done we thought also that this update solved the issue as the alertmails no longer fired.
But after a 600 hours uptime the alertmails are back ??. So perhaps you will get the same behavior with OA 3.00 and redundant OAs after 25 days uptime. please let me know if you get the same

regards
jean-denis
Jim Miller
Frequent Advisor

We just installed 3 new C7000 chassis, all with standby OA. (The new ones with the built in KVM) 2 of the C7000 came with 2.60 firmware, one with 3.00. The same day that they were configured and put on the network, the 2.60 enclosures started the degraded /OK emails. The 3.00 enclosure has not made a peep. All of these enclosures have BL860c and BL870c blades installed.
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

I finally was able to work it out so that I was at the cabinet when the errors occured. The front panel on the C7000 showed "device error", digging down the screens, it finally showed something to the effect that the OA redundancy was lost. Nothing recorded in the OA logs (which still doesn't make sense)

It's been about 5 months since we last updated the firmware (to 2.61), and our other C7000 enclosure, updated at the same time, isn't doing this (at least not yet).

I'll probably update the OA to 3.00, although I'm still trying to find a specific firmware compatibility list for the OA 3.00 with the other components.
JDFC
Advisor

hi

you will find compatibility info at
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class.html#tab3_content

firmware is no longer release against an OA version, but you will find firmware release sets which are tested as a bundle. the current available release set is the march 2010 version. You have updated components like OA 3.0 which you can include.

From the various messages i can see on the posts belonging to degraded alert mails, i'm still not sure that OA 3.0 will fix this issue. Fo the moment i had the issues on various enclosures running OA 2.51 and 2.52.
When i updated to OA 2.60 the alertmails disappeared, but came back after approximately 25 days. the last thing i have done was resetting both oas on some 2.51 enclosures and that solved the pb for the moment (since more than one month), but i'm very confused, as i don't see what could be the difference between resetting both Oas and flashing firmware, as in both cases the Oas get reset? Perhaps we should try to remove the OA trays and reinsert it, in order to see what happens. this pb sounds like it could be due to some kind of inter-OA communication issue ?? I would like to understand what is happening as nothing appears in oa log, but when you have the chance to catch the alert you can see that there is an OA redundancy failed message.
Mapeva

I fixed this situation on several enclosure just by removing an re-inserting the OA's tray, after that I haven't receive any e-mail.

Let us know if that worked for you.