BladeSystem - General
1753800 Members
7748 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Onboard Administrator (OA) firmware downgrade on standby unit after replacemnt

DrewL_
Frequent Visitor

HP Onboard Administrator (OA) firmware downgrade on standby unit after replacemnt

Hello --
I have a situation where I need to downgrade the firmware on a standby OA from 4.80 to 3.31 (which is running on the active OA). The 4.80 firmware version is not compatible with all the hardware installed (limited to v4.23 due a BL460c G1). This is after a failure and replacement of the OA running 4.80.  The hdardware revision is the same (B1).  I need to restore redundancy before considering upgrades.

I've been reviewing documentation on firmware upgrades and downgrades. The information on firmware downgrades is vague. Can I simply go to Enclosure Information > Active Onboard Administratorr > Firmware Update, chck the Force Downgrade box and hit Syncronize Firmware?

The alternitvies I can think of would be to do one of the following.

1. USE the CLI and the UPDATE IMAGE SYNC command. The documentation here suggests that this will sync the active and standby, but not in which direction. Some reading herer suggests that this is active -> standby, but would like confirmation.
2. Upload the hpoa331.bin to the active OA for an 'upgrade'.

5 REPLIES 5
support_s
System Recommended

Query: HP Onboard Administrator (OA) firmware downgrade on standby unit after replacemnt

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Query: HP Onboard Administrator (OA) firmware downgrade on standby unit after replacem

Better update both OA to the newer version.

It will work.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
DrewL_
Frequent Visitor

Re: Query: HP Onboard Administrator (OA) firmware downgrade on standby unit after replacem

4.80 firmware version is not compatible with all the hardware installed (limited to v4.23 due a BL460c G1).

I have no doubt that updating to v4.80 would work, but it would orphan my BL460c G1.  This is according to the firmware matrix here.

Further, according to documentation, I would need to jump from 3.31 -> 3.50 -> 4.23.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The BL460c G1 is long out of support, maybe for 8 years or something.

The matrix is based on the last tested version while the server was supported.

Since then no further testing, hence to newer version listed anywhere for this server.

It will most likely work anyway.

Just in case save all the OA configuration information.

The only downgrade options I'm aware of is the "force downgrade" option on the OA firmware page and the TFTP based firmware rescue method.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
DrewL_
Frequent Visitor

@Torsten. 

The hardware is indeed old, but its still in production. The prod status is mainly why I need to get redundancy back.  I've already done a SHOW CONFIG and made a backup.

@Torsten. wrote:

The only downgrade option I'm aware of is the TFTP based firmware rescue method.

Since you mentioend this, I looked it up. Is this the process? 

Failed Onboard Administrator (OA) Firmware Flash Recovery Process

Would this process work for a secondary OA, or would i need to get it into a seperate chassis?