1753755 Members
4971 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant Blade p class

srussell
Advisor

HP Proliant Blade p class

Has anyone had any issues with DC converters just up and dieing in the BL p class blades? We have 58 p class blades and have had 5 separate cases now where the DC converter just fails. When it fails there is no warning and no other recourse but to replace the DC converter module. HP has stated that they do NOT have any proactive measures for preventing this nor do they have a solution. I am just curious if this is a general issue.
5 REPLIES 5
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

"You are not alone"

LOL. Yes, it has been observed.
Wen it fails... it just fails !!!!!!!
there is nothing much to be done.
I dont think there is any PRECAUTION you may take to avoid this situation.

It seems you just ran out of luck for so many similar cases at the same time.

Sheer Coincidence !!!
srussell
Advisor

Well we have taken a semi proactive measure to have a couple of spare DC\DC converters on hand for both our 35' and 45's
How many occurrences have you heard about. I am just curious since at first we were led to believe it was just our issue and a batch of bad hardware. Thanks
JoshT976
Advisor

We are having problems with our BL35p just shutting off. Or after a proper OS shutdown, removal and re-insertion into blade sleeve not being able to power back on. (Health status shows Critical)

We have tried swapping out the Power Module (DC Converter) with no luck. Tried moving to a different enclosure in differnet rack, tried the diagnostic stations no luck. Ours turn out to be bad sysboard.

Anybody else experiencing this?
srussell
Advisor

Yes I have had a couple of those as well. But more often than not it is the DC converter. Each time this happens it is either replace mainboard or new DC converter module.
ROWELL122
Advisor

We have seen this as well... to the point that I don't want to list the number of systems that have failed. Many times its the DC converter, however most of the time replacing the DC converter only works for a short period of time, and eventually the mother board dies as well. To date HP has informed my organization that we were the only ones having the issue. We performed a complete environmental and application analysis to determine just what it was that we were doing to cause the issue. Good to know its not our issue, rather its an HP issue.