HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem - General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP VC NORMAL CONFIGURATION

SOLVED
Go to solution
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

HP VC NORMAL CONFIGURATION

HI. Im configuring two virtual connects in my enclosure c7000. In the shared uplink configuration i comprobed the following state:

linked/active
linked/standby

is this normal?, what's the meaning¿? only function one vc¿? the other is passive¿? thanks! ;)
11 REPLIES
The Brit
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP VC NORMAL CONFIGURATION

make sure that your uplink sets only contain ports from a single VC module. Create separate uplink sets for each VC module, using only the ports from that module.

i.e. Uplinkset A using ports from Module in Bay 1, and Uplinkset B using ports from Module in Bay 2.

Dave.
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

very thanks! ;).

What are the differences between linked/active/standby and linked/active/active?¿

I suppousse that in active/standby only one vc function, and the other is for HA.

I suppousse that in active/active the two functions and they make HA too?¿?¿.....

Very thankss!!!
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

Please help, whats the meaning of linked/active and linked/standby¿?.

is for ha¿? only function one vc?

and linked/active linked/active¿?

are actives two? HA too¿?

please help me.
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

When creating an uplink of agregated connections you'll only one as active unless you configure the switch side as a LACP trunk (I think Trunk is the correct term, I'm not a network person). Once that is complete your VC module will automatically see all connections in the group as active.

The stand-by connection you have now will only become active is the current active connection is dropped - unplug the cable as a test & observe.

As the previous poster says, when creating uplinks only choose connections from one module, don't span modules.

Julian.
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

OK, the choose is clear. Select shared uplink for each VC.

But when i try to configure the server, choose "multiple connections" in each nic, the system only let me choose one shared uplink.

How can i get HA if the nic only have one uplink vc¿?..

Thank you.
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

I would configure 2 uplinks; one using connections from bay 1 & the second using connections from bay 2.

Present the two uplinkgs to the server on NIC1 & 2 and team.

Ideally you would also have your uplinks configured to two separate switches. This way you can loose a switch or a vc module without service interruption (note firmware updates etc).

If you havent seen it already the HP virtual connect cookbook has some useful info.

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01471917/c01471917.pdf

Julian.
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

Ok, but in the case that my VC shutdown, i haven't got HA. ill function only with the nics in the other VC. While with one trunk to the two VC, i've got HA.

Is this the normal Conf¿?.

thanks...! ;)
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

Creating an uplink spanning multiple vc's does work, but it's not good practise. I have done this in the past & I seem to remember big problems during firmware upgrades of VC modules.

Have a read through the cookbook as that gives you many supported scenarios providing HA.

Regards,
Julian.
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Julian. ;)
The Brit
Honored Contributor

The Network HA is achieved by "teaming" NIC's on the server side.

NIC Ports always come in 2's or 4's. Odd numbers (1,3,5...) map to Left Ethernet module, even numbers (2,4...) map to Right Ethernet module.

Set up team using NIC 1 (IC Bay 1), and NIC 2 (IC Bay 2). If Ethernet module fails, NIC will fail over and use other path.

Create Uplinkset_A on VC Enet Module 1 and Uplinkset_B on VC Enet module 2. For each
VC VLAN you create, create an A and a B, i.e.
VLAN_23_A and VLAN_23_B )(set the external VLAN ID to be the same on the A vLan and the B vLan). Tell VLAN_23_A to use Uplinkset_A. Tel VLAN_23_B to use Uplinkset_B.

In the profile, assign VLAN_23_A to Ethernet port 1, and VLAN_23_B to Ethernet Port 2.

now if primary nic is active, the server will it will use Port 1 (VLAN_23_A) --> Uplinkset_A. If NIC fails over, it will use Port 2 (VLAN_23_B) --> Uplinkset_B

Dave.
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

Very thanks dave!!! ;) ;) ;)