HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem - General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP VirtualConnect + Cisco + ESX = no load balancing!

PabloOttawa
Occasional Contributor

HP VirtualConnect + Cisco + ESX = no load balancing!

Hi,
I am configuring an ESX infrastructure running on HP Blades (c7000 enclosure), VirtualConnect, and Cisco 3750 switches for the uplink.
My network configuration is based on the HP VirtualConnnect Cookbook, Scenario 11.
On the ESX server, I have configured a vSwitch with two teamed network cards. Each card can see a different VirtualConnect network. Each VC network has SmartLink activated.
Each VirtualConnect network is associated with two ports on an VC bay. Those two ports are the uplinks to the Cisco 3750 switches. The Cisco switches are configured in a stack, and each port associated to the VC network is configured with LACP aggregation.

Here are the facts:
- Each network (Host-A and Host-B) is properly configured for LACP, that is, the links are shown as Active/Active in VC manager.
- Communication from ESX is good.
- Failover and failback work OK.

The problem: I can't get load balancing to work. I have tried different algorithms on the ESX server (source port ID, mac hash, IP hash) and configuring the equivalent on the Cisco side.

I have attached a diagram of the physical network as well as the configuration for the ports.

What am I missing? Many thanks,

Pablo

Cisco Config:
interface gigabitethernet1/0/3
Description HostA network - From Bay 1 port 1
spanning-tree portfast trunk
channel-protocol lacp
channel-group 6 mode active

interface gigabitethernet1/0/15
Description HostA network - From Bay 5 port 1
channel-protocol lacp
channel-group 7 mode active

interface gigabitethernet2/0/3
Description HostA network - From Bay 1 port 2
channel-protocol lacp
channel-group 6 mode active

interface gigabitethernet2/0/15
Description HostA network - From Bay 5 port 2
channel-protocol lacp
channel-group 7 mode active

2 REPLIES
Matt Protagonist
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP VirtualConnect + Cisco + ESX = no load balancing!

On the 3750, do the following commands return what you expected?

show interfaces po6 etherchannel
(both ports should be "Active")
test etherchannel load-balance interface port-channel 6 [...]
(try different combos)

Also, check Cisco Bug CSCsm72520.
"When famous people die, media orginizations FOI all the information available about them. Anticipating demand, the FBI will put the information on their website. My favorite is that you can search for George Orwell on fbi.gov and _actually_find_him_!"
Matt Protagonist
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP VirtualConnect + Cisco + ESX = no load balancing!

Are you trying this with one flow (eg backup)? See http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=964325

Short version: a single flow will only go over a single port, even if its part of a LACP trunk.
"When famous people die, media orginizations FOI all the information available about them. Anticipating demand, the FBI will put the information on their website. My favorite is that you can search for George Orwell on fbi.gov and _actually_find_him_!"