BladeSystem - General
1752817 Members
4758 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP c7000 Chassis firmware upgrade issue.

rohitnagare
Occasional Contributor

HP c7000 Chassis firmware upgrade issue.

Hi All,

I have HP c7000 Blade system chassis which is haveing old firmware version 2.50 May 19 2009.We are installing new blade server BL460c G7 but as per HP need to upgrade HP c7000 chassis firmware version to lates one 3.32 3Oct 2011. But we are having old blade servers like BL460c G1 and Bl460c G6. Bl460c G1 is haveing Firmware verion I15 07/10/2009 and I15 04/26/2010 installed. And BL460c G6 is haveing I24 09/02/2010. So if i only upgrade the firmware version of blade chassis c7000 to lates 3.32 3Oct 2011. Will my old servers work properly as they were working before.

need you opinion on this.Or sujest as per you opinion.

Thanks

Rohit

5 REPLIES 5
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

The firmware your describing is listed in HP's old list of blade system compatability with OA firmware version 3.31.

I would recommend upgrading the firmware on your current servers before you upgrade to OA version 3.32

HP's general recomendation is BIOS, ILO ,OA in that order. If you are using VC i'm not really sure if that goes last or before OA

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

FYI the VC is after the OA... So first blades, then OA and finally VC...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

With an OS already on the severs they actually recommend OA and iLO at the same time.  I'd go OA first and then iLO, next drivers then firmware and last is the VC if you have one.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Some documents may say that the OA must be done first but I can tell you from experience (and this is confirmed by HP people) that it is best to do blades first... I had often the case that, when I updated the OA first, and I had specific versions of ILO, I got the error that the OA lost communication with the ILO...

Only solution was to reset the bay, meaning removing the blade (downtime) and re-inserting... A reboot of the server was not enough...

Updating 1000 servers a year, I never had issues with the blades-OA-VC order...

By the way, if you use SUM to update, SUM knows about dependencies between specific updates and will follow the right order... Is also a good thing to avoid issues...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Rp85

Hi,

I am doing firmware upgrade on HP enclosure c7000 and want to ask that can I upgrade the VC firmware from 3.30 to directly 3.70. Or do I need to first upgrade to 3.50 then 3.60 and from there 3.70.

I tried to do it from 3.30 to 3.70 but the upgrade failed.  Then, when I tried to upgarde VC from  3.30 to 3.51 I am receiving message  like " Specific enclosure is not in primary domain".  

Can you please suggest.

Thank you,

Regards,