108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware OS mirroring

SOLVED
Go to solution
dfox_wa
Occasional Advisor

Hardware OS mirroring

I have several ProLiant BL685c G1 blades that have two internal OS drives. The OS is Redhat release 4. I know that the internal drives are hardware mirrored. I am looking to see if there is anyway to break the mirror while the operating system is up and running and the second drive would be a bootable drive. Some software module or third party software, etc. I have been told so far by HP that is not possible. Is that correct?
4 REPLIES 4
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

I also have a feeling that must be done offline (breaking the RAID1 to 2 x RAID0 sets).

I don't know your goal with this, but why the drive is not bootable now if you take another out and put in to another server ?
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
dfox_wa
Occasional Advisor

Not being bootable I am not sure of. At this point I have been told it is not. Of course as always it is worth a try.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

If You are using HW RAID1 (Or RAID 1+0) with two disks, both drives will boot up and you can rebuild the raid with empty drive.

just be sure before yanking drive out that there is no disk I/O ongoing.

remember to assign points to answers given to YOU.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
dfox_wa
Occasional Advisor

Thanks,

What you said basically HP has backed up. Here is what they had to say

The only way to break the mirror in software is to used the built in RBSU utility built into the ROM of the server. To do this you must reboot the server and interrupt the boot to enter RBSU. RBSU cannot be accessed once the server is running an OS.

So basically no I/O.