1753297 Members
6428 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hardware for Virtual Connect and C7000

hxman
Occasional Contributor

Hardware for Virtual Connect and C7000

I ahve a C7000 enclosure with a few blades and would like to test the Virtual Connect software.

I had a question regarding the VC hardware...

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/enclosures/c-class/c7000/specifications.html

The interconnects are both Fibre and Ethernet. Do we need both or do they both do the same thing but one is fibre and the other ethernet?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Hardware for Virtual Connect and C7000

You'd need both types of module.
As your link suggests there are a number of options for each.
Also, depending on the types of blades and mezzanine cards installed, you may want more than just a pair of each to maximise/utilise connectivity.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Right now you need separate modules for network (VC-Enet) and fiber (used for SAN fabric connectivity, not network).

HP is working to develop CNA cards (converged network adapters) that will deliver Ethernet and SAN fabric over a single connection but those are not available yet.

One other option is to use the Flex-10 modules. You can take a single 10GB feed into a server and split it into multiple blocks (for instance 3GB for network, 2GB for backup network, 4GB for iSCSI, and 1GB for cluster heartbeat network.)

Good luck!
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

I think you are networking background person..... I see this question a lot from networking people and never from storage people.

There is a copper networking VC. 1Gb Bandwidth RJ45 - 399593-B22

There is a copper and fibre networking VC.
1GB RJ45 and SFP

And there is a fibre SAN VC. 4GB bandwidth SFP - 447047-B21

as said above fibre networking and fibre SAN are not the same. 409513-B22

Are you SAN connecting the servers - if so you want 409513-B22 for connection to the SAN. And to connect ethernet you want 399593-B22 unless you want to connect it with 1Gb fibre networking.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

There is cuntpaste error in the above.

It should be

There is a copper and fibre networking VC.
1GB RJ45 and SFP - 447047-B21

And there is a fibre SAN VC. 4GB bandwidth SFP - 409513-B22