5110 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help Needed : WS460c Gen8 Blade not running v2 procs

cleavs
Visitor

Help Needed : WS460c Gen8 Blade not running v2 procs

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with a few WS460c Gen8 blades that aren't powering on when v2 processors are installed. I have done all the necessary updates with the SPP files corresponding to this machine and am still "red-lining". I've tried to search for another version of the v2 update that corresponds to the WS model as the normal v2 update applies to BL, DL and ML servers only. I was wondering if anyone has come across this before, I know all the hardware that I'm using is good and functional, the machines will run v1 procs no problem. I've double checked with Quickspecs and Maintenance Guide to verify that the parts are all compatible with the machine. If anyone has any advice please let me know, thanks. If you need more info please ask. 

Board numbers:

692906-001 

704709-001

5 REPLIES 5
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

have installed DIMM for Processor 2?

cleavs
Visitor

Yes have installed memory for both procs.

cleavs
Visitor

I found the answer if anyone else runs into this problem. Basically you have to fool the Blade into thinking it's a BL460c then update it to the v2 update. Then install v2 procs and then run another update to fool the Blade once again back to a WS460c. Steps below:

1.) Download files CP021407.scexe, CP021524.scexe, CP022687.scexe, BL460cGen8-CPLD-13.scexe, and CP022444.scexe.

2.) Install v1 procs in WS460, force install the first 4 updates listed in step one. This will change the Blade identity from WS460c to BL460c temporarily to allow v2 update to take. Allow Blade to restart and run through post to ensure update takes (should be 9/18/2013 Bios date). 

3.) Take out v1 procs, and install v2 procs, then power on blade and run update file CP022444.scexe. Allow Blade to restart and the BIOS date should change to a 12/2013 date. This update also changes the identity of the Blade from BL460c back to WS460c.

**(You can check the Blade remotely to verify the firmware changes and watch the change from WS460c to BL460c back to WS460c)**

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Here is a related advisory:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03911173-6%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

Great advisory, hadn't seen that one before! :)
Did my post help? Thank me with kudo's! :)