5435 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help with fresh c7000 and default VLAN configuration

DP Admin
Occasional Contributor

Help with fresh c7000 and default VLAN configuration

Hello,

I have a c7000 with two Flex-10 CX4 10G uplinks (active/passive) going into a ProCurve 5412zl switch. VC (2.31) is running in Map VLAN tags mode. I have a single network defined that uses the CX4 uplinks. The switch is being run in its default configuration (only Default VLAN, no ip routing, etc.).

I have read and read about HP VLAN implementation to the point where I have succumbed to "paralysis of analysis" syndrome, and need a kick to get moving forward.

I am running a Hyper-V R2 three-node cluster using BL495c blades. FlexNIC 1a is for host communication, FlexNIC 2a is dedicated to Hyper-V guests. Both FlexNICs are bound to the one 10 GB network that is uplinked to the ProCurve switch, which is part of a flat 10.137.x.y/16 network.

On to the point, I have a Cisco ASA with a DMZ network 192.168.137.0/24 that right now connects physically to another switch and on to a couple of DMZ hosts. I would like to P2V those DMZ hosts, and have them on the Hyper-V cluster.

I am a little confused on how the blade system and switch will work togehter in this configuration, and would love some guidance on how to configure each device to support connecting the ASA's DMZ through to a Hyper-V VM.

Can somebody explain how this should be configured? I am not sure especially about how I should configure my ports (tagged, untagged, etc),

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Brit Davis

P.S. We are adding an Avaya VOIP system soon to this switch and if there are any configuration steps that will be needed to support this, I'd love to hear about them too.

5 REPLIES 5
Ali
HPE Pro

HI there,

Page no. 118 of Onboard administrator guide explains the VLAN configuration pretty well.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf

Default VLAN is 1

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

DP Admin
Occasional Contributor

Aftab,

Doesn't that just create VLANs for the OA and/or for whole blades? I need to route the VLAN to a VM within a blade host.

-Brit
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Brit,

Vlan configuration provided in the OA guide includes all the blade installed in the enclosure. this is just to give you heads up how this can be configured at enclosure level.

In your case it should be part of Network profile in Virtual Connect manager as flex 10 is managed through VCEM. Flex10 NIC is subdivided into four logical instances and they are as good as 4 physical nics and can be configured with multiple VLans.

I don't have such setup here otherwise i would have explored the possibilites keeping your scenario in mind.

However, HP Virtual Connect Ethernet Cookbook and user guide helped me in setting up VLAN with Flex10 NICs.
HP Virtual Connect Ethernet Cookbook
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01990371/c01990371.pdf

Virtual Connect User guide.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00865618/c00865618.pdf

I will let you know if I get a chance to test some configuration in my Lab.

Anyone else has something to add here..?

thanks,
aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

DP Admin
Occasional Contributor

So this means that you can either assign the whole server bay to a VLAN, in the same way a single physical server could be put on a tagged, port-based VLAN, or do VLAN tagging of the individual NICs via Virtual Connect?

If the server bay is assigned to a VLAN, and the FlexNIC of the server is assigned to another VLAN, what happens then?

Thanks,
Brit Davis
Proliant VMS San Mgrs
Frequent Advisor

Hi Brit, (re that P.S.)

In my opinion, you would do better to keep your VOIP traffic on a completely isolated network (physically if possible). If you enjoy irate phone users screaming at you because everyone in the office just lost all of their calls, then ignore this advice. The cost of networking gear should be small compared to the cost of an Avaya VOIP system. Maybe you have bean counters who don't yet appreciate just what it means to segregate risk, as well as traffic. My 2 cents.
Problems Solved