BladeSystem - General
1751926 Members
5286 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I add a tape drive and disc bays in the HP C7000 blade enclosure with 460c class servers?

Rajithjose

How can I add a tape drive and disc bays in the HP C7000 blade enclosure with 460c class servers?

Hi,

How can I add a tape drive and disc bays in the HP C7000 blade enclosure with 460c class servers?
I have a bay with ull hard discs, a storageworks and another tape drive. How can I assign these things to a particular server on the blade? What program can I use to attach these devices and move around?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: How can I add a tape drive and disc bays in the HP C7000 blade enclosure with 460c class servers?

You have 2 Ultrium tape blades, Ultrium 480 and Ultrium 920.
The tape is connected to the blade on his side directly through the backplane. If the server is full-height, the tape blade must be installed on the lower bay, and server blade must have a Pass-trough mezzanine in mezzanine slot 3.
The blade and tape must be in bays 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, or 5 and 6, etc. It will not work if the bays are not next to another and are not one of those pairs.
The connection is only with one blade, the one next to it, cannot be changed by software.
Rajithjose

Thanks for the reply.

But, does that mean that I can't connect a tape drive and storageworks to a server in a blade? Only one of them?

And any docs or links on mezzaine pass-through?

Thanks.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Only one tape or SB40c per blade.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12729_div/12729_div.HTML

HP PCI Express Mezzanine Pass-Thru Card for BladeSystem c-Class
NOTE: Required when installing an HP SB920c Tape Blade or HP Ultrium 448c Tape Blade adjacent to a full-height server blade. 431643-B21

A tape blade supports one partner server blade, and one partner server blade supports one tape blade.

Identify the partner server blade to be installed with the HP tape blade. The two blades always occupy a pair of slots, as follows: 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6, 7 & 8, 9 & 10, 11 & 12, 13 & 14, 15 & 16 (see Figure 1).
Rajithjose

So,

Are we saying that I can't have a full heigt server in slots 1 & 9, a tape drive in slot 10 and a storage balde in slot 2, all connected to the full height server?

Thanks.
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

You are right Rajith, It has to be only one storage device at a time you can connect to Full height blade. You need to have Pass through in the mez3.

In the Question you mention BL460 which is a half height blade, for which your configuration 1&2 and 9&10 will work.

Regards,
Raghuarch