1753944 Members
8857 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How many ILO IP's do we need for BL890i2

SantokhB
Frequent Advisor

How many ILO IP's do we need for BL890i2

We are installing a new C7000 with a BL890i2 and would like to know how many ILO IP's we need to configure for the slots. I think it is just one for the master blade but would like someone to confirm this.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Minimum is = the amount of blades and interconnect modules (if manageable).

You do not have to reserve IPs to unpopulated bays. But the most easiest method is to use EBIPA with all bays IPs configured.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
SantokhB
Frequent Advisor

THis is what I want to do but the customer does not want to waste IP's, hence my question...do we just need a ILO IP for the monarch blade or do we need one for each blade in the BL890i2..

THanks
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

I find it a good habit of reserving an ILO and 'normal' IP for every server and also an IP for every interconnect slot, no matter if there's anything in it or not.
Makes it less messy if I later adds something.

And yes, every server needs its own ILO address.
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

So far I have not had any problems with only one iLO IP for the monarch (BL870c i2).

Still, some official guideline from HP on this would nice...
The Brit
Honored Contributor

I would agree. ILo access to the system would be through the Primary blade in the system (I guess thats what you refer to as the Monarch).

It is pointless assigning IP's to the other blades in the system since they are effectively "subsumed". (just as a full height in Bay 1, subsumes Bay 9) From what I understand, there would not be any point in assigning those blades IP addresses.

Of course, this is just my interpretation, and I eagerly await an HP person with the genuine stuff.

Dave.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Santokh,

All iLOs in the server get assigned a management LAN IP address by the BladeSystem OA. However, only the
master iLO's user interfaces are active, and the BladeSystem OA will only provide management interface links to the active, Master iLOs. For multi-bladed platforms such as the BL870c i2 and BL890c i2, the iLO contained on the Monarch blade is the master iLO which communicates and consolidates information from all other iLOs. Master iLOs are automatically designated the system's master iLO if they are on the Monarch blade in a multi-blade platform.

So the aux blade's iLO's do need an ip because the master communicates with them internally.

See also here :

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12602_div/12602_div.PDF

This should answer your question i guess.

HTH

Kris
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Thanks to Kris.

The link he provided answers the question quite clearly. Look under "iLO 3 Scalable Manageability".

"... All iLOs in the server get assigned a management LAN IP address by the BladeSystem OA. However, only the master iLO's user interfaces are active, and the BladeSystem OA will only provide management interface links to the active, Master iLOs..."

Dave.