BladeSystem - General
1753495 Members
4713 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to get the NIC firmware version on HP BL 465c G7/8 running VMware ESXi ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

How to get the NIC firmware version on HP BL 465c G7/8 running VMware ESXi ?

Folks,

Can anyone here please help me in getting the firmware version of HP Emulex FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 554FLB Adapter ?

Because I cannot find it from the OnBoard admin page and also the vSphere console.

This is to verify if the NIC firmware is impacted with this problem in http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5215333&docId=emr_na-c04218016&docLocale=en_US

Thanks.

Best regards,
7 REPLIES 7
Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Re: How to get the NIC firmware version on HP BL 465c G7/8 running VMware ESXi ?

Greetings!

You can use the ethtool -i command to display available information for one of the network interfaces

ethtool -i vmnic0

vmnic is the nic port 

For example:

# ethtool -i vmnic0

driver: ACME
version: 1.2.3a-1vmw
firmware-version: 7.8.9
bus-info: 0000:02:04.00

I hope you find the information helpful!

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor
Solution

Greetings,

VMware ESX - How to Identify the Network Card Firmware and Driver

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03508269

Thanks & regards,

Lincy

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thanks guys for your suggestion and steps.

I know how to perform firmware update on the HP Blade server component only (iLO, BIOS and HPSmartArray) but not sure how to perform the network card driver update and firmware.

Best regards,
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,

you have at least 3 options how to update firmware:

1) update it directly in VMware ssh console - dowload binary for your card at HP.

2) update whole server with support pack dvd

3) update only card with bootable ISO = download iso at HP.

for driver - drivers comes with vmware update - but you can do it manually - dowload form HP and upload it do vmware update manager or directly to each server.

Jan

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Cool. many thanks for the reply.

Best regards,
frasmd

is there any way to check the same using Python?

ADO_11
Advisor

Easy way is following:-

1Log on to the respective server with username and password.

2Once logged in, go to Run and type devmgmt.msc and click on OK.

3Once the Device Manager Window is open ├а click on check box Network adapters ├а and, Click on Active Network Adapter. Note: The adapters normally have down arrow marked on them. Choose the one which does not have down arrow mark on it.

4Right click on Active Network Adapter and click on Properties ├а Click on Driver.

5Note down the Name of the Driver.

Note: Complete driver description will be available as per below snapshot.

a.        Search for the latest NIC Adapter (Driver) Version on the Internet.

b.        Or, Call HP Engineer (91-8662115211/ 918887617437) to get the latest NIC Adapter version.

For example,

Search for HP Ethernet 1GB 4-port 331FLR Adapter and see the latest version as below.

7If the latest version matches as per the Driver Version, end of troubleshooting.

Else, work with your company management and HP team to get latest one for the server.

Suyash Agarwal