1753797 Members
7067 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hp passthru modules and cisco 3020

jonny123
Occasional Advisor

Hp passthru modules and cisco 3020

we currently have cisco 3020 modules on our hp blades but we would like to move to passthru modules.

is there a equivalent of #of ports on 3020 vs the passthru?

The 3020 has 16 internal and 8 external

how does that compare to the passthru?
4 REPLIES 4
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Hp passthru modules and cisco 3020

the 1Gb ethernet passthrough modules have 16 external ports that map directly to the midplane to each possible blade server port for that bay.
jonny123
Occasional Advisor

it says it has

sixteen internal 1Gb downlinks and sixteen external 1Gb RJ-45 copper uplinks

what exactly does this mean? say I have a full chassis with 8 bl685s with 6nics each, how many passthrus do I need?

HEM_2
Honored Contributor

yes, 16 downlinks to 16 external links... i.e. every NIC trace is passed through the midplane to an external RJ-45 port.

**** the following info assumes a C7000 ****

BL685c servers have 4 integrated NICs: 2 NICs map to Interconnect Bay 1 and 2 NICs map to Interconnect Bay 2.

If you have 6 NICs total that tells me you have an additional dual-port ethernet mezzanine card. The mezzanine card will map to 2 of the other Interconnect Bays dpending on which mezzanine slot the card is in. For Example, if the dual-port mezz card is in mezz slot 1 than 1 NIC port will map to bay 3 and 1 NIC port will map to bay 4.

This will result in the need for a total of 4 1Gb ethernet pass-through modules to ensure that each of your server NICs will have an external RJ-45.

see attached port mapping info.

if you have a C3000, the info is different
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

passthru = cabling like with rackmounted servers 1 cable for 1 NIC
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi