1748227 Members
4258 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hyper-V tagged VLANs don't work with Flex10

AccuMegalith
Advisor

Hyper-V tagged VLANs don't work with Flex10

We recently partially migrated to Flex10/FlexConnect by adding a second C7000 and rebuilding the VC domain. We installed a new batch of BL 490c G6 blades in the second enclosure and built their profiles to take advantage of the additional NICs. These blades, as well as the existing 490s, are in a ten-node Win 2008 R2 Hyper-V cluster.

The VC domain uses one shared uplink set to the core switches, and "map VLAN tags" is selected.

The older blades are connected to a 1/10F VC-eth module, with NIC one presenting multiple networks, including the default untagged. This NIC has a Hyper-V virtual switch mapped/attached, and it's shared with the host OS. No issues ever with VMs which used tagged VLANs. The second NIC is the cluster heartbeat subnet, and it has no associated uplink set.

The new blades are configured as follows:
-LOB 1A, 2A teamed for use by the host OS, no virtual switch. VLAN promiscuous disabled. VC profile presents the default untagged VLAN only. Shared uplink set maps only default VLAN.
-LOB 1B, 2B teamed for VM VLAN use. Virtual switch, not shared by host OS. VC presents only non-default VLANs, none selected as native. VLAN promiscuous enabled. Shared uplink set maps all non-default VLANs.
-LOB 1C, 2C teamed for the cluster heartbeat network. No virtual switch, no uplink.

Teams 1 and 3 work fine, in that the new nodes can join the existing cluster with no issues. Team 2 doesn't work as expected. None of the VMs can access nodes which aren't both on the same VLAN and on the same host. If I look in NCU, I only see transmit traffic from the team, and only broadcast and multicast frames; no received frames. The core switches (3500yls, if that matters) do show the MAC addresses for the VMs on the correct VLAN and the correct trunked ports. The VMs and core switches can't ping one another.

I thought VLAN promiscuous was the key to all this, but changing the setting makes no difference. There's not much in the way of guidance on how to configure this arrangement. My only call to support so far was a dead end of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.

Has anyone successfully configured Hyper-V with Flex10 and shared uplink sets?
White water rafting on a river of acid
2 REPLIES 2
AccuMegalith
Advisor

Re: Hyper-V tagged VLANs don't work with Flex10

sigh...

Apparently, a host reboot is needed.

A fifth of gin also, too.
White water rafting on a river of acid
AccuMegalith
Advisor

Re: Hyper-V tagged VLANs don't work with Flex10