1752600 Members
4193 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hypervisor crashing HP460c G1 Blade

Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

Hypervisor crashing HP460c G1 Blade

Greetings, I have a fresh 2008 R2 install that is also running RDS. I am trying to setup VMs within Hyper-V and am running into an issue. First off, I have VT and No-Execute Memory Protection enabled in the BIOS (both were enabled before installing Hyper-V role). HFs KB974598 and KB975530 are installed. The server boots but I get an error when starting VMs:

"the virtual machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running"
When I attempt to start via net start hvboot the system freezes. No network connectivity, no access via iLO remote console. I have to power cycle the server.

Any ideas what might be going on? All the latest firmware, drivers and agents are installed. And I even tried modifying the sleep mode via:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/01715fd7-a44f-42c1-8d50-06d0e442b4e3

CPUs are Intel x5355 Xeon 2.66ghz

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Tuscani,

please refer to page no.23 Enabling support for hardware-assisted virtualization in the RBSU
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01516156/c01516156.pdf

recommendations :
Should have latest system bios
Hyperthreading should be disabled
No-run Memory Protection should be enabled
Intel(R) Virtualization Technology should be enabled

hope this helps,
thanks,
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

One more point to consider:

> After making changes to the system BIOS, restarting the server is sometimes not enough for the changes to take effect. In some cases, you will need to completely turn off the server and then turn it back on.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

Here are my BIOS settings for the proc.. I have tried cold boot from power down

HW Prefetcher = Enabled
Adjacent Sector Prefetch = Enabled
No-Execute Memory Protection = Enabled
Intel(R) Virtualization Technology = Enabled
Low Power Halt State (Intel C1E) = Disabled
Intel Core C3 State = Disabled
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

One more suggestion:
To start the Hypervisor manually.

From the command prompt type "net start hvboot"

You should have Administrative privilege to use this command.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

The server runs fine until I attempt to start the hyperviser via net start hvboot.

All of my BIOS settings are correct.

I am at a loss.
Ali
HPE Pro

found few articles. check this out
c02076995
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02076995тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3884098&prodTypeId=3709945

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/7b2fd2fb-84d0-43d1-b39b-c0ecb4da7cc4/

also make sure you have latest system bios on the server.

I will keep you posted if I find something else.

or
anybody else has something to add?
thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!

Accept or Kudo

Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks.. I am running the I15 10/25/2010 BIOs.

The Intel CPU util says my proc supports virtualization. Does the HP article you posted apply to 2008 R2?
Ali
HPE Pro

Yes it does... article is not 100% relevant to your issue. however, you may disable NCU and try hypervisor.

HI All,

If someone else has something to add please add

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo