3489 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I don't have access to my LAN from c3000

Hugo Osorio
Occasional Advisor

I don't have access to my LAN from c3000

Hi everyone, your help will be quite appreciated:

The company where I work has acquired a bladesystem c3000 with 4 bl460c g6, one SAN P2000. I am in a Local Area Network, I have installed windows 2003 server 64bit in one of them,

I have configured in Windows, those two network interfaces with two fixed IP addresses. These IPs belong to the same network rank, I have establised the IP gateway for one of them, and I have used the same gateway that everyone uses in the LAN in order to "see" the proxy, the mail server, and other services.

But when I try to communicate with other machines in the network, it is not possible, I do ping to them and no one answer. Not even pinging the Onboard Administrator nor the gateway...

What are the proper steps in order to set up in a correct way the networking in my BL servers so they can "see" the other machines in the LAN each other?

Thanks a lot,

4 REPLIES 4
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Welcome Hugo.

You omitted one very important piece of information.

What Do you have in your Interconnect Bays? In particular, what is in IC Bay 1.

You need to understand that the OA only gives access to the IC bays (for management), and to the blade iLO's, for the same purpose.

The blades talk to the outside world (network) through whatever is installed in your IC Bays. From the blade OS, communication with the external network, including the OA, is through the onboard NICS, which connect to the IC Module in Bay 1, and from there to an external network switch.

If you have SAN storage (i.e. FC), then you will need to have a FC module(switch) in one of the IC bays, and HBA's on the appropriate Mezz port on your blades.

The Location, and type of Interconnect Modules that you have installed in your enclosure will determine how external connections are configured.

Please post the modules that you have installed, and any Mezz cards that you have installed in the blades (and which slots they are installed on), and we will go from there.

Dave.
Hugo Osorio
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Dave,

Well this is what I have, I dont know if this is enough, I can take a snap of the emerging window so it can give more information.

I am still digesting your words so I can follow your rythm around this information.

Thanks a lot I will be looking forward to your/others members kind comments,

Hugo
Cartagena, COL.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

It looks like you have an HP GbE2c Layer 2/3 Ethernet Blade Switch in Bay 1 (top left, rear). I cant make out what you have in bay 3 (bottom left).

You dont have to worry about the connections between blades and IC modules, they are hard wired. If you look in the OA interconnect module pages you will find the port mapping diagrams. Note the connections between the blades and the IC modules are always refered to as "downlinks".

The connections between the IC Modules and the external network are refered to as "Uplinks". These are the "outward facing" ports on the IC modules. Follow the configuration instructions for the particular modules.

You should also try to get a copy of the c3000 port mapping diagram which shows which blade ports (onboard and Mezz) map to which IC Modules. For example, in order to use the module in IC Bay 3, you must have an appropriate Mezz card in Mezz slot 2 of all of your blades. Also, if the Mezz card in slot two is only dual ported, you will only have 1 usable port. If it is a quad, then you will have 2 usable ports. This is because from Mezz 2,

Port 1 -------> IC Bay 3
Port 2 -------> IC Bay 4
Port 3 -------> IC Bay 3
Port 4 -------> IC Bay 4

So you can see, if it is a dual card (you only have Ports 1 & 2), and there is nothing in IC Bay 4, then Port 2 maps to nothing, so only one usable port.

Dave.
Hugo Osorio
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Dave, I have connected the cable from the mezzanine card (HP GbE2c Layer 2/3 Ethernet Blade Switch in Bay 1) to the switch... and that's it, I have now LAN connection.