1752634 Members
5732 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I have never seen 1GB/s inside c7000

welldone777
Advisor

I have never seen 1GB/s inside c7000

I have some bl460c G1 (Quad-Core Xeon 1866 Mhz, 12 GB, NC 373m Dual port 1GB Nic in mezzanine 1 and Qlogic 4GB FV HBA in mezzanine 2, E200i-2x146 GB RAID 10) in c7000, last firmwares (2.x versions).

Every status in interconnects is 1 GB.

There are Windows 2003 SP2 Enterprise installed on two servers. I have never (never!!!) seen 1 Gb/s. I make some download threads from first to second and summary maximum is 20-25 MB/second.

Why bl460c has 1GB network card?

Why new bl460c had 10 GB network card?
10 REPLIES 10
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

There is a big difference between 1 GB/s and 1 Gb/s and you are using them interchangably in your thread which can be confusing.

The bl460c G1 has 1Gb/s NICs. Does this mean that you will get wirespeed 1Gb/s on a file copy? Doubtful. You might be able to approach 1Gb/s by using a network performance benchmarking tool like netperf, iperf, etc. that bypasses disk i/o subsystem.

Those BL460c G1 servers have TCP Offload Engine capable NICs and TOE has never worked right. With Windows 2003 SP2 TOE is enabled by default. I recommend disabling TCP Offload Engine on your NICs and see if your file transfer speeds improve.
welldone777
Advisor

Sorry, 1GB/s is 1 gigabits per second above ( i now i must to write 1Gb/s).
Yes, i expect to get something about 100 megabytes per second.

I have 20-25 megabytes/s everything - Windows, SuSE, ESX.

What is my blunder?
welldone777
Advisor

Everything OS asssures me i have 1 Gb/s.
I know that really speed can be 40-50 megabytes/s.

There is my 40-50 MB/s?
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

1Gb/s = 128MB/s.

disk performance affects network performance, if disks cannot writte fast enough, network data goes into a queue until it can writte on disk. RAID levels, amount of disks in raid,type of disk, controller cache size, stripped size, firmware and few other things affect disk performance

regarding TOE and RSS (part of the scalable network pack or SNP), both were created to increse network speed but they give more headaches than solutions on windows 2003. more details on microsoft web site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948496

if applicable to you, you can create a network team, like SLB to duplicate troughtput, check HP NCU

regards,

JQ

welldone777
Advisor

juan quesada

Do you mean 25 MB/s is maximum for E200i RAID 10?
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

nope, but what else is the controller doing? what cache size do you have etc...

JonathanT
Frequent Advisor

One other thing to point out about the new Flex-10 NICs is that their purpose is typically not for a single 10 Gb/s pipe. The awesome thing about these NICs when paired with a VC Flex-10 "Very Expensive" Modules is the ability to carve the Flex-NIC up into 4 virtual NICs as a fraction of the 10Gb/s. Since you have two of them in the server and can connect to both VC modules you can team them for fault tolerance, etc. It's really nice to have setups like:

* Backup Network
* Management Network
* Application Network
* VMotion Network

etc...
welldone777
Advisor

juan quesada

Controller doing nothing, cache is 64 Mb.
Can you post your speeds between blade-servers via ftp?
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

You are referring to networking, whereas you seem to be involving hard disks, the Windows SMB protocol and several other limitations in the picture.

I would recommend starting by googling "iperf" and looking to do an actual network test. You will probably find you are able to push gigabit speeds, or very close to them.

What is doing your networking? You mention the NICs but you don't mention your switches.