1753852 Members
9595 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion

IML to remote syslog?

Luku

IML to remote syslog?

Hi,
I can set forwarding logs to remote syslog for OA (set remote syslog server & enable syslog remove) but after that, OA forward only self logs. How to do the same for every ProLiant (forward IML logs and iLO Event Log) installed in Bay? Is it possible?
I have c3000 (OA firmware 2.60). Server iLO firware ver. 1.81

1 REPLY 1
Sheanshar
Advisor

Re: IML to remote syslog?

If the servers are running Windows, there is an application called HP Event Notifier that will send notifications when something happens to the machine.

Check out this document:
HP ProLiant Servers, HP Insight Event Notifier - How to Setup Email Notifications Via Insight Management Agents on Individual Proliant Servers Running Microsoft Windows 2003

QUESTION:

This document answers the following questions:

* How do I setup email notifications via the Insight management agents on individual ProLiant Servers running Microsoft Windows 2003?
* Is there any way to automatically setup and configure the Event Notifier on all my servers?
* If the server is inaccessible, will it send emails when it comes back online?
* How do I send a test trap?
* What is the current ProLiant Support Pack with the latest Agents and System Management Homepage?

ANSWER:

HP Insight Event Notifier - Install, setup, configure, and test:

After the install of the Operating System, the latest Service Pack, and all windows updates, run the latest HP ProLiant Support Pack (PSP). This will install all drivers, utilities, and agents.

Click here to access ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 v7.51 A (22 May 06) (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24537.html).
NOTE: Please check revision history for latest PSP version.

Email Notification:

Click Start, then click Programs, then click HP Management Agents, and then click Event Notifier Config.

Configure the SMTP mail server information.

Configure the list of notification recipients.

Click Services, then click SNMP Service, then clickproperties , and then click the Traps tab. Then set Community Name (for example: public) and Trap destinations: (127.0.0.1).
NOTE: I recommend using the loopback address, instead of the IP address because this tells me that I am sending a trap to itself. For HP SIM (CMS) I would recommend using the actual IP address, which tells me I am sending an alert remotely.

Click Start, then click Settings, then click Control Panel, then click the HP Management Agents icon, then click SNMP Settings tab, and then select [Send Test Trap].
NOTE: This will send a Major (severity) Generic trap (11003) event.

MORE INFORMATION:

There is NO way to automate the process above for multiple servers. This procedure has to be performed on every individual server.

For multiple server central management use HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) and/or HP OpenView.

When a trap occurs, it will attempt to send it, and if it fails to send, there will be no follow up because it does not store trap events. HP Systems Insight Manager will store trap events and will send (email) alerts for inaccessible servers.

Let me know if it works for you