108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing OS + bl 680c + h/w

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Installing OS + bl 680c + h/w

1. How will I be able to know if HP-UX is loaded into the Blade System..[I am able to access the OA and MP, But when I type MP>CO it hangs..]

2. If OS is not installed how can i install it[hp-ux 11i v3][What else will i need and when should I connect it]

3.Is there a way to install the OS at Once in all the Blade Servers in One c7K Enclosure.If so how can i do it.

4.Currently I am using 4 blades with 4 Power Supply's... How can I add the other 4 blades and the other 2 power supply's[As the M PDU has only 4 inputs to it.]
8 REPLIES 8
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Re: Installing OS + bl 680c + h/w

5.The C7000 enclosure has 6 power connections... where as the Modular PDU supplied with this has only 4 female inputs... So I am unable to use the other 2 power cords to connect from PS#5 & PS#6..

Additional Info:-
--------------------
The Model No/Part Number of the PDU is 228481-002 which has only 4 inputs... And I want 6 inputs as The enclosure C7000 needs 6 PS as it is fully loaded with 8 Blades
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Well I found the answer to install the OS but how can I install the OS on to all the blades at a single Instance in an Enclosure
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

I've also found the below Inf from the user guide but unable to follow that...

Installing the OS Using HP Ignite├в UX
The Ignite-UX product is an HP├в UX administration tool that helps you install the HP-UX OS on
multiple server blades on your network. Ignite├в UX also allows you to:
├в ┬в Create custom install configurations, (for use in multiple installations on server blades)
├в ┬в Recover HP├в UX server blades remotely
├в ┬в Create custom recovery media including tape, CD and DVD
├в ┬в Manage and monitor multiple server blade installation sessions
To install the OS onto the server blade using HP-UX Ignite, see the following HP documentation:
http://docs.hp.com/en/IUX/.
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can use Ignite to create a bootable image on a network/dvd/tape, but before you can use Ignite you will need to install and configure at least one HPUX server.

http://docs.hp.com/en/AD217-9015B/ch04s02.html#bacfehbh

Use the "Installing the OS Using vMedia" or the "Installing the OS Using a USB DVD Drive and the OS Disks" methode. For the virtual media option you will need to copy the HPUX installation dvd to local disk or a network disk. Use the ILO option to mount the image on the blade and reset the blade to boot from the image.
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Hi Robert,

Regarding the v-media installation I am not clear as I haven't done it before..How can i do it...

Was it meant that I can Install the OS using v-media sitting on my Windows desktop & the DVD drive in my desktop at my place rather than in the LAB...I am confused ...

Also Can I have 8 blades running with only 4 power supplies instead on 4 PS. I do not have input jacks on the MPDU... I am struck there...

Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Grayh,

Was it meant that I can Install the OS using v-media sitting on my Windows desktop & the DVD drive in my desktop at my place rather than in the LAB...I am confused ...

Yes you can, but you will be limited (at least if you start multiple installs) to the performance of your desktop. I copied the hpux/linux iso images to a few network drives, and used these images to install the servers.

I'm trying to find the documantation on the power supply's for the C7000 enclosure, but I can't find them. From memory you can use 4 bl680c blades with 4 PSU's installed in the enclosure.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Please double-check your model number referenced in your title.

The BL680c has an x86-64 processor and will not run HP-UX.

The BL860c has an IA-64 processor and will run HP-UX.

Grayh
Trusted Contributor