6038 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Windows Server 2008 R2 on a BL460c G1

SvenM
Occasional Advisor

Installing Windows Server 2008 R2 on a BL460c G1

Hi there,

I tried to install W2K8-R2 onto one of my BL460c G1 and failed miserably.

The Windows setup keeps asking for drivers, even after it got the QLogic for the HBA for the SAN VDisk.
I can't use the SmartStart CD because it doesn't support a Boot From SAN enviroment.

Any ideas which other drivers I need?

Thanks in advance an Greetings
Sven
7 REPLIES 7
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Dowload and install latest Proliant Support Pack (PSP). It contains all the drivers that You need.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
SvenM
Occasional Advisor

Just to be more precise, i'm not able to install Windows Server 2008 R2 because Windows setup asks me for drivers. So a PSP can't help me at this point.

CU,
Sven
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

If the instructions below to do not help, then:

1. What kind of FC HBA card is installed? Is it the 4 GB Qlogic? 8GB Qlogic?

2. What driver version did you load? Do you mean a driver built-into W2008?

To install the Windows Server 2008 with SP2 operating system:
1. With the Windows Server 2008 CD-ROM in the DVD drive, select Bootable DVD. Press any key
to boot the CD-ROM and start the installation process.
2. Enter your language and other preferences. Click Next to continue the installation.
3. Click Install Now at the next screen.
4. Enter the Product License key and click Next to continue.
5. Read the terms of the License Agreement and check the I accept the License terms. and click Next
to continue.
6. Click Custom (Advanced) to install a clean copy of Windows, as there is no upgrade for Windows
Server 2003.
7. Click Load Driver to load the IA64 Boot from SAN driver kit that you saved to the USB flash drive.
8. Browse to the location on the USB flash drive that contains the IA64 Boot from SAN driver kit.
9. Select the appropriate inf file and select Next to continue.
10. Select the disk where you want to install the operating system and click Next.
11. Continue with the installation.
SvenM
Occasional Advisor

├Г hm, I'm not talking about Windows Server 2008 SP2 but about Windows Server 2008 !!R2!! Big difference ;-)

The SAN HBA is the QLogic QMH2462 4GB HBA. I already did the things you proposed and Windows Setup accepted the driver but then kept asking for drives.

It started asking for Drivers even before the Windows where you can configure your installation disks.

But thanks for your answer
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

What driver name and version have you specified?

Note: When a driver is required with Windows during the install that is not included in the OS, it will ask you for the driver twice. The first time is load it into memory before you create your disk space. The second time writes it to the disk space created.

Do you know what BIOS rev is on the 4 GB QLogic?
SvenM
Occasional Advisor

The Firmware Version should be 5.01.02
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

1. The QMH2462 BIOS needs to be one of the 3 revs listed on this web page:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1844105&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1844104&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54
Flash the BIOS if it is not.
2. The BIOS needs to be enabled on the Qlogic. Recommend enabling BIOS on just one port until you get it working.
3. The F9 Server BIOS boot order needs to be set so Qlogic port 1 is the first in the boot order. And the SmartArray controller needs to be disabled.
4. The LUN needs to be created and the QLogic BIOS must see this LUN and be set to boot from it in the Selectable Boot Settings - Primary Boot Port
Here is the link for the QMH2462 drivers: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1844105&taskId=135&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1844104&submit.y=0&submit.x=0тМй=en&cc=us
Be sure to select a Boot from SAN driver.