Re: Interchange between HP 1/10Gb VC and HP 1/10Gb-F VC

SOLVED
Go to solution
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Interchange between HP 1/10Gb VC and HP 1/10Gb-F VC

Hi,

Our current environment in one of our C7000 enclosures:
-2 HP 1/10G Virtual Connect Ethernet Modules in interconnect bays 1 and 2, each VC connected with 8 * 1G RJ-45 ports (LACP used) to our network backbone
-2 HP 1/10Gb-F Virtual Connect Ethernet Modules in interconnect bays 3 and 4, each VC connected with 4 * 1G RJ-45 ports
(LACP used) to our iSCSI network

iSCSI network is physically different from our network backbone.
Server profiles defined with connections to network backbone and to iSCSI network.

These days we start to change our backbone from Nortel to 3COM. 3COM have 10G Fiber Ethernet ports, so we want to connect
this enclosure to 3COM backbone by using 10G Fiber Ethernet ports.
Because 10G Fiber Ethernet ports available only in HP 1/10Gb-F VC modules we need to interchange VC modules in bays 1/2
with VC modules in bays 3/4.

Question: what is the recommended way to do this interchange with minimal headache ?

I assume we cannot just import configuration from HP 1/10Gb-F VC to HP 1/10Gb VC?

Thanks,
Igor
2 REPLIES 2
Jeff Allen_5
Valued Contributor
Solution

It would be easier if you could get a hold of 2 additional VC-F modules, but here is what you could do.
Backup the domain
Remove Bays 2 and 4.
Put Bay 4 in Bay 2 and let VC stabilize.
Then put Bay 2 in Bay 4 and again let things stabilize. At this point VC should show no errors. VC doesn't count the copper vs. Fiber modules as being "different" per say, so it should accept this swap without issue.
At this point, repeat the procedure for Bays 1 and 3.

Let me know if you have trouble.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Jeff, many thanks !

I will try this procedure.

>>At this point VC should show no errors.

I assume I will have errors because bay 2 defined with 8 * 1G RJ-45 links and bay 4 have 4 * 1G RJ-45 links ?