4853 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Invalid Flex-10 configuration?

JorisK
Regular Advisor

Invalid Flex-10 configuration?

Hi everyone.

A few weeks ago we ordered some hardware which i had to install today but i ran into problems assigning virtual networks to the Flex-10 mezz cards.

Here's the setup:
- Blade c7000 enclosure
- HP Proliant BL460c G1 servers
Bay1-2: HP Flex-10 VC cards
Bay3-4: QLogic FC Switches
Bay5-6: Standard Gigabit switches for blades

I think this setup is incorrect. When i want to assign virtual networks i only see two ports to assign networks to, both locked at 1Gbit. Is this because the embedded NICs of the blades are connected to bay 1 and bay 2?

The reason we took G1 blades is because of CPU compatibility. How could we correct this setup? The only way i see it is get two other VC Flex-10 modules and put them in bay 5 and 6, am i right?

Regads,
Joris
9 REPLIES 9
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

460G1 has two NICs. NICs are connected to interconect bay 1 & 2 (flex-10 modules).

You don't tell if You have 10Gb mezz cards inside your blades.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
JorisK
Regular Advisor

My bad,

The G1 blades have 2 onboard Broadcom nics which are attached to bay one and two as you say.

Mezz slot 1 contains a Qlogic HBA card and Mezz slot 2 contains a Flex-10 nic.
Fabian Calvo
Advisor

Your 10GB Flex-NICs (Mezz slot 2) are routed to interconnect bays 5 and 6, meaning the standard Gigabit switches in your enclosure, you won't be able to have all 8 NICs per Flex mezz unless you add Flex-10 modules to interconnects 5 and 6.
NXS
Valued Contributor

you need the Standard Gigabit switches for blades in slot 1-2 and the flex-10 module in slot 5-6

K
JorisK
Regular Advisor

Yeah but that configuration is not supported according to the manuals.

I tried that configuration but i can't logon to the VC manager, it gives an error. I searched for the solution and it brings me to an HP site that states i need to place the Flex-10 modules in bay 1 and 2.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

That is true. You must always have atleast one VC module in bay1

Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

You can run the older VC modules in slots 1/2 and put the Flex-10 in 5/6.
I'd recommend you put the 1/10F modules in there as they have more memory that may be needed for the more complicated Flex-10 networking.

Also I was lead to believe by HP that 1Gb NICs connected to Flex-10 modules can run at up to 2.5Gb? Not been able to check myself yet.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

adrian: 10Gb blade nics without FLEX-10 functionality can run at 2,5Gb/s with flex-10 modules.

Fabian Calvo
Advisor

Adrian,

That's correct, certain multifunction NICs (i.e. NC373x) can run at 2.5Gbps when paired with Flex-10 modules and any driver greater than 4.4.24.0.