BladeSystem - General
1752318 Members
6034 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ip issues inside C7000 blade system, ProCurve 6120G/XG Blade Switch "IP or Subnet already i

SOLVED
Go to solution
SysEngGuy
Advisor

Ip issues inside C7000 blade system, ProCurve 6120G/XG Blade Switch "IP or Subnet already in use"

This hardware i'm working with is blade enclosure C7000 and HP ProCurve 6120G/XG Blade Switch . The goal i'm trying to achieve is getting the switches to ping each other. I'm using bay 1,3 and 4 here. First issues I ran into was via the OA, I could not assign new static IP's to the switches (using a /24 mask I still received error the IP or subnet was in use)...I changed subnets and/or IP's still same error (if it is an error?..not sure) ...backtracking here to catch you up...the reason I'm doing this is because two of the three switches have the exact same IP (I don't know why) on same mask...showing up same MAC also when checking out STP on them both...they both see each other as the root also on same MAC....the third has it's own MAC, IP..etc...needless to say..no communication between them if I ping the oobm ip of each.

Basically whenever I try to change the OOBM ip static on any of them I get the IP or subnet already in use...I checked the OA and only see about maybe 10 that are in use front and back...they are fine, just can't understand why the entire range of IP's and subnets seem to be on lockdown. Any suggestions, ideas, comments are welcome. Thanks.

I made correction to the proper switches i'm using...I'm using HP ProCurve 6120G/XG Blade Switch in this instance...also in addition...the DG is the OA 192.168.0.1...It (the OA) can see the switches if I ping from it(OA)....I have the DG set in each switch as 192.168.0.1...my plane is to take two of the switches to another blader system and test them out to see if it's the OA with the issues on the unit i'm having trouble with.

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Ip issues inside C7000 blade system, ProCurve 6120G/XG Blade Switch "IP or Subnet already i

A firmware update on the switches did solve such problems for me several times.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SysEngGuy
Advisor

Much Thanks for the advice Torsten.Since this is 3rd generation support i'm trying to troubleshoot (me being probably the 3rd guy to touch the system lol) I was told they did the upgrade already, so I brought up the fact I'd still like to do it on my watch if I needed to. The lowdown: I work in a process restricted environment for a prominent defense contractor, so you probably can see where i'm going.

I decided to blow away the switches and new wizard the OA ( I only set up ip's for the 3 back end switches mentioned earlier..all the front end stuff is fine along with the switches I have in bay 5 and 6) After that I ran ping oobm source then Ip address combination..they all see one another (the goal was for the oobm ip's to see one another) I was informed later the oobm will not be able to ping the DG since it's on a seperate network. thanks. lol.

So now my only issue is with the OA..the web management interfaces via the OA when access the bay/switch is not displaying. About to tackle that one now. Other than that..this case is done. I'll just open another case if I can't figure out the web management side. This is my first time working with a blade system, so i'm going off pure years of knowledge here, guides, notes..etc. lol. Fun still.

Thanks.   

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Do you have firmware 14.28 running on the switches?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SysEngGuy
Advisor

no it looks like it was 14.09 on them. I'm going to update that this morning as soon as I get the firmware. Again..red tape process here (which is fine, just slows things a bit)...I can't just download from the internet. lol