1748219 Members
4938 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lose 3 BL460c for 1 Bl680c

Bruce Rose
Advisor

Lose 3 BL460c for 1 Bl680c

We were hoping to move out two BL460c so we could add one BL680c. The divider in the quadrant was removed and the BL680c installed. There is a coupler to add to an SB40c to allow another half height above it so figured there's be a similar coupler to add to a BL460c to allow use of the space above.

Are there now any options to get the top half height back and if not now will there ever be.

Thanks

bruce
9 REPLIES 9
Kase
Frequent Advisor

Bruce, there isn't an option that I am aware of to use half-height and full-height in the same quadrant for c-class blade servers. If you use a full-height blade in any slot of a quadrant, the entire quadrant must be used for full-height.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Bruce, the coupler that comes with the SB40c is not available with the server blade BL460c. I don't know what the issue is or why HP does not provide it with all half-height blades of any kind (server, storage, tape, pci etc). And in case you want to try the coupler with other blades, you can not order it by itself, it only comes with the SB40c.
Maybe an HP insider has a better answer.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

This is the first discussion I have heard about quadrant issues.

Could anyone point me to any documentation which explains what these issues are? Or provide a discussion in response to this post.

thanks

Dave.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

There are 4 quadrants in a c7000
Bays 1,2,9,10
Bays 3,4,11,12
Bays 5,6,13,14
Bays 7,8,15,16

In a c3000 there are 2 ... the top half and the bottom half.

In a quadrant you can have (supported)
4 half height servers/storage/PCI/2x220 blades
2 full height servers
1 full height server and one half height blade in the bottom slot.
1 full height double width.

There is nothing stopping you putting 1 full height and two half height blades in a quadrant. But the top half height has nothing to clip it and hold it in. (unsupported)

Also you cannot connect a server to a storage blade, tape blade or PCI blade in another quadrant. (yet)
TTr
Honored Contributor

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12810_na/12810_na.html

See the Technical Specifications section at the bottom.
The divider in the "mixed configuration" subsection that must be removed if a full height blade is installed spans two bays horizontally (double width). A storage blade (disk or tape) comes with a single width bracket to allow installing another half height blade (server) above it.

So when disk and storage blades are involved you don't lose any bays. The only time you lose a bay is when you install a full height server blade and then install a half height servers blade at the bottom bay. In this case normally you don't install a half height server blade at the top because it can not stay there if the bottom server blade is ever removed for service.
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Bruce,

There is a coupler to add to an SB40c to allow another half height above it so figured there's be a similar coupler to add to a BL460c to allow use of the space above??

NO. you can't use that space above BL460c.

If you insert the BL460 above another BL460 i,e (Unsupported)it will damage the connector Pins of the Top Server.
It is not a advisable thing to do.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1273542

Bruce Rose
Advisor

It does look like the answer is no.

To me it looks like the lower half height slot next to a full height blade can be occupied with a half height blade, a sb40c or a PCI expansion blade. The upper half height slot next to a full height blade can only be a half height blade when coupled to a sb40c.

If this is wrong please let me know.

THanks again

Bruce
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Yes you are right. It's NO.

From the Earlier posts:
The reason: the part 408631-002 (shelf) we receive only with SB40 and not with BL460 blades. And part 408375-001 (which we receive with enclosure) doesn't match by size.

I am not able to understand why HP is not Selling the Part 408631-002 with BL460c when they know it's needed!!!!!

Dan Robinson_4
Regular Advisor

If your talking about that funny little bracket that allows you to connect 2 HH blades together when they sit next to a FH blade, that only ships with the FH blades as far as I am aware.

The reasoning is the chassis comes configured to support 16 HH blades with the shelf in each quadrant.
You would ONLY ever need a Bracket if you removed the shelf
You would ONLY ever remove the shelf if you installed a FH blade.
Thus the brackets are only shipped with FH blades.

So go back and check your BL680c box and look for the bracket.

If you REALLY need one, contact your Account Rep (Assuming you have one) and tell them you need one. Something that small they should just grab from inventory and send it to you with no charge (maybe shipping?) to keep you a happy HP Customer.

PS: If you dont have an account manager or they wont help you, send me an email with your address and I will stick one in a puffy envelope and send it to you. I think we have 3 or 4 sitting in our build room gathering dust. ITRC [at] whipstaff [dot] com