Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misbehaviour of Port Mapping on c7000 Blades

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

Misbehaviour of Port Mapping on c7000 Blades

We did such a test with a C-7000 blade system: We connected 2 Flex-10 VC modules to Interconnect Bays 1 and 2, then port of LOM1-a on all servers mapped to VC@ Interconnect Bay1 and port LOM2-a mapped to VC@ Interconnect Bay2.
Then we removed the VC@ Bay2 and removed all profiles and networks and we even did factory reset on VC and Entire Enclosure and unplugged the power cords of enclosure but anytime we define a server profile and assign it to a server at one of server bays, it maps the port LOM2-a to Interconnect Bay 2!!!

Is there any remedy?
14 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Misbehaviour of Port Mapping on c7000 Blades

Port mappings are hard-wired, they aren't changed in profiles. For redundancy purposes, half of the signals are routed east and the other are routed west in the midplane so that even a mechanical failure (i.e. a hole) in the midlplane does not cause an outage if proper teaming has been utilized.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Nima,

This is expected behavior. LOM2 can only leave the enclosure via uplink ports in VC module 1 if there is a module in bay 2 as well.

good luck
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

This is the point: The mappingin the enclosure, before inserting the second VC module, for each server was like this:

eth0->LOM1-a Bay#1
eth1->LOM2-a Bay#1

After Inserting the Second module, the mapping became like this:

eth0->LOM1-a Bay#1
eth1->LOM1-a Bay#2

Then, I removed the Second VC Module, Performed a factory reset and unplugged the enclosure power-cord and plugged it again!
But The Mapping still is:

eth0->LOM1-a Bay#1
eth1->LOM1-a Bay#2

The VC@Bay#2 no longer exists! This would not be hard-wired mapping policy for this case, since the initial hard-wired policy before inserting the second module was:

eth0->LOM1-a Bay#1
eth1->LOM2-a Bay#1

I am just looking for a workaround!
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

hi again Nima,

You can leave the virtual network for LOM2-a (as well as LOM2-b,c,d) set to Unassigned. That way you can continue to add flex adapters on LOM1.

No trouble doing this, and it allows you to add the VC module in bay 2 at a later date if you choose.

good luck, if you appreciate the answers we appreciate the points!
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

@Nima: your last post is just wrong. Port mappings are hard-wired and don't change. You must have made a mistake.
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

I'm so sorry! it was a typo! The observed misbehavior is like this:
eth0->LOM1-a Bay#1
eth1->LOM2-a Bay#2
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Your description of the initial configuration, i.e. before your started messing about with everything, no matter what you think!, is just not possible.

> before inserting the second VC module, for each server was like this:

> eth0->LOM1-a Bay#1
> eth1->LOM2-a Bay#1

If eth1 == LOM2, then it is simply not possible for it to map to Bay #1. The mapping is HARD, and immutable. LOM#2 maps to Interconnect bay #2, there is nothing you can do about it.

You need to pay attention to David, he knows a bit about this stuff.
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

The initial Configuration is when the module at BAY#2 is not inserted! Then it is absolutely possible!
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

I've enclosed a screen-shot of a healthy scenario! (so called Initial Config.)!

THIS is not what I THINK, this is What I SEE!
The Brit
Honored Contributor

My apologies to you. This is clearly what it says.

All I can say is that this column is not configurable to the best of my knowledge. So what you see is a genuine issue.

I rechecked all of my profiles, and in every case LOM1 and LOM3 map to Bay 1, and LOM2 and LOM4 map to Bay 2, which is how the mapping is supposed to look.

There certainly seems to be something screwy about this setup.

If this mapping is being put into every profile you create, then my suggestion would be to restart the whole VC configuration from scratch. This would entail shutting down all of your servers, removing the VC module in Bay 2, and delete the domain.

Then remove and reinsert the module in Bay 1.

Import the domain.
Rebuild the VC configuration from scratch, (don't import a saved config).

We had to do a similar process when upgrading from 1/10G VC's to Flex10 VC's. We found that importing the config from the 1/10G modules reversed the mappings.

Different issue to yours, but enough similarities to make it worth your trying it, (if no other option is available)

And of course, you can save your current configuration so that if the rebuild fails, you can get back to where you are now.

Good Luck

Dave.

The Brit
Honored Contributor

Sorry again. I just realized that we got side tracked. As I understand it, your problem at the moment is that the mappings look like;

eth0->LOM1-a Bay#1
eth1->LOM2-a Bay#2

This is actually the correct mapping, and is probably why it is defaulting to this in all of your profiles.

Dave.
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

And another weird behavior! in case of using c3000 enclosure, only mezzanine cards are mapped to module @ Interconnect Bay #2 !
The Brit
Honored Contributor
Solution

On a c3000, this is correct for Mezz1 cards, -- All Mezz1 ports on a c3000 map to Interconnect Bay 2.

Mezz2 cards on a c3000 should be mapped to IC Bays 3 & 4.
For dual port cards - Pt1 -> Bay 3 and Pt2 -> Bay 4.
For Quad port cards - Pt1 & Pt3 -> Bay 3, and Pt2 & Pt4 -> Bay 4.

Dave
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

Thanks!