1753416 Members
6765 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move VCEM to another SIM server

Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

Move VCEM to another SIM server

Hello, we are currently running two instances of SIM 5.3. One is our normal SIM server and the other is used with VCEM. We would like to migrate the VCEM data and settings into our production server. Is this possible?
8 REPLIES 8
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

I've not moved it to a new server. I have rebuilt a SIM server with the same name and then restored all the databases, certs and associated files.
http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim-backingupWindows-52.pdf
Its one of the databases you can see further down the database list from the Insightdb.

I'm not sure how VCEM and the VC modules would cope with the change of name,IP address etc.

As the VCEM database is way more important usually than the SIM data, I would be more tempted to import the production SIM data into the one managing VCEM. And then send a repair agents task to everything.

I'd say go visit the Virtual Connect forum and ask again in there but the website is being changed this week so it might not work.
https://h30340.leveragesoftware.com/
Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I do not think moving the production SIM data to the VCEM version is going to work for us. Is the VCEM data stored in a separate DB, or is it apart of SIMs DB?

Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

Ok, I read your post again.. looks like VCEM is it's own DB. What about installing VCEM on production server, moving the VCEM DB from 2nd SIM server to shared SQL cluster and then updating the config on production server to reference the DB?

David Claypool
Honored Contributor

@Tuscani, your steps will most likely result in a corrupted database. Suggestion would be to:

1. Follow the instructions in the VCEM user guide to backup your VC Domain Configs (although we may not need them).
2. Follow the instructions in the VCEM user guide to remove VC domains from the VCEM VC Domain Groups.
3. Shutdown and retire the HP SIM + VCEM server.
4. Install VCEM on the other HP SIM server.
5. Enter the licenses for VCEM in License Manager.
6. Perform a discovery to find all of the VC interconnects.
7. Apply the licenses so VCEM will be able to manage them.
8. You should be able to create the domain group again and then simply import the domains into the group and have all the configurations and profiles get sucked into this new instance of VCEM. If for any reason it doesn't work, follow the instructions for restoring the backup you made in step #1.
Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys.

David, I think I will give this a shot! I assume you have actually done what is suggested?
Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

Also, is it possible to just move some domains\groups for testing purposes? Or is it all of nothing migration?
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

How big is your VCEM config? Do you have many domain groups?
For testing, do what David says but only on one one domain group, if it does not work, remove the new domain group on SIM-prod, restore the VC settings as he says and turn the old SIM-vcem server back on.
Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

We have:

Domain Groups: 10
Domains: 35
Profiles: 150
Bays: 400

It is possible to migrate with both servers online?